What Happened To Socket 478???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Seuss

ok i know...its bound to happen, technology moves on, computers get faster and compatability dwindles. but what ever happened to socket 478?

i am a proud owner of a socket 478 P4 prescott 3.0GHz and a Asus P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard....and yes i realised the more i looked on component websites that socket 775 was taking up more space and 478 less but over night it seemed to dissappear!!

what happened to all the socket 478 stock in the shops?? why cant i pick up cheap 478 equipment (a nice processor and motherboard) or can i and i just havent found it yet??

I think Intel put the word on the street to quickly pull all traces from everywhere in order to cover-up the evidence those that rushed out and bought 775/PCI-E systems for major $$ might see them. :)

Seriously though, the Asus P4P800E-Deluxe.. I've seen them on Ebay for MAJOR CASH for this very reason (sometimes ~$250 in some weeks!) due to the overnight disappearance of quality socket 478 mainboards.

I still have many P4-3.0 -> 3.4 HT/P4's on Socket 478 and not willing to give up the 5500-5800mb/s bandwidth and CAS2 latency (especially when coupled with Northwood cores). AGP is the only real problem but with the prices for 7800GS's falling, it's almost a non-issue any more.

Oh, I should add you can still find P4 CPU's pretty well. I have several local dealer that have them coming out of their ears, both Northwood and Prescott 478's, 533 and 800mhz FSB. Cheap too (3.0ghz 800's like $70).

Google both StarMicro and Memorytek (both near here, in Fremont, CA). They both have some good stock of 478 cpu's and ship quick.

i feel i should have added im from England...but cheers for the info. feels good to know i have a desired mobo (you wouldnt believe how long i waited to get a good deal on it) and i know what you mean about the 7800GS's. but ive kind of secured that by getting the Gainward BLISS 7800GS+ overclocked by gainward to become "the worlds fastest AGP graphics card"....set me back a fair penny though

While we on the other side of the pond dont get those killer Gainward (20-24 pipe models ugh!) 7800GS's, our standard 7800GS 16-pipe jobbers have dropped from over $449 US down to about $200 US now.

Hopefully the same will happen in your neck of the woods soon. There were rumors also that ATI had an X1900 series in AGP offerring, but I'm guessing it was bad information. Would be nice to dream though. :)

hey i think ive offered on here before...but if anyone wants one of those killer Gainward BLISS 7800GS+ (AGP) cards ill happily send one over to them (obviously the costs would have to be worked out). i havent heard anything about ATi planning a big AGP card but it wouldnt supprise me

Thanks for the offer Dr.. I'm just really bummed Gainward's distro lines into the US have all dried up.

They made some of the best GF3/GF4 line of cards and competed well in this market. I'm really surprised they just dont distribute here any more as they were a top seller for years.

It IS nice though- BFG and XFX 7800GS's are sinking sub-$200 range now. This gives AGP users a nice, FP16 blend HDR/SM3.0 upgrade path without compromise. 16 pipes, yes, but a great upgrade path for otherwise deemed "obsolete" expansion slot.

I have a ton of Asus P4P800 series mainboard. Three E-Deluxe, SO has an P4P800SE, two MX's.. they are some of the most stable and best memory performance motherboards you can get. Asus's hypermemory option also disables the i865 latency @ 800mhz fsb speeds also, yielding some of THE best memory performance you can get on 478.

I do agree!
very satisfied with my p4p800se in combination with kingston value ram.
and easy to tweak...and I think not yet too badly bottlenecking my grafix...

i think im going to build a second socket 478 PC...i definatly think an ASUS board will be going on it as long as i can find one

....but 1 problem with that, i wanted to give the new dual core processors a go and i definatly cant afford the socket 478 Core2Duo...what to do, what to do?

Dr_Seuss said:
....but 1 problem with that, i wanted to give the new dual core processors a go and i definatly cant afford the socket 478 Core2Duo...what to do, what to do?
is there a socket 478 core 2 duo?Ithought they where only built in socket 775?

Well, they're not technically socket 478. They are Mobile Core 2 Duo2 (Merom core) and it apparently "fits" in socket 478. Also, (coincidentally) I believe there are MORE versions of Core 2 for socket 478 than there are for LGA775. However, the enthusiast community will need to create custom BIOSes for socket 478 motherboards to run them.

I think you guys are confusing Core 2 Duo with Core Duo.

Core Duo is a socket "479" CPU, which is basically a socket 478. This is an older core, not nearly as powerful as the Core 2 Duo, and very popular for mobile/Apple/Mac usage.

They are indeed similar to Core 2 Duo from respects of not being netburst architecture, lower power consumption and are dual-core CPU's. The similarities end there though as they just aren't as beefy/powerful as the newly crowned Core 2 cores/775.

nope i definatly mean Core 2 Duo, ive only found 2 websites here in the UK that stock socket 478 Core 2 Duo ("Intel Core 2 Duo T5500, Socket 478, 1.66 GHz, 667MHz FSB, 2MB Cache, Retail" in fact) but yeah i agree that most are the mobile version but they cost so much!

Dr_Seuss said:
ive only found 2 websites here in the UK that stock socket 478 Core 2 Duo ("Intel Core 2 Duo T5500, Socket 478, 1.66 GHz, 667MHz FSB, 2MB Cache, Retail" in fact)
That's a typo and I can understand the confusion. :)

Socket 478 was proceeded by Socket 479, which is then proceeded by Socket-M. The T5500 Core 2's are Socket-M.

Socket M is not pinout compatible with Socket 479 nor Socket 478 (nor even older Socket 478 with the Socket 479 adapters), but it is indeed a 478 pin PGA. It's easy to get confused!

Basically, Socket-M is a single-pin revised version of Socket 479 to *prevent* pin compatibility with Socket 478 or native 479 or adapter card Socket 479. So, you cannot use Socket-M's on a 478 mainboard or 479 converters.

To confuse things even more, Intel plans on replacing all current Socket-M cpu's with a new Socket-P layout to further divide compatibility.

Sharkfood said:
That's a typo and I can understand the confusion. :)

Socket M is not pinout compatible with Socket 479 nor Socket 478 (nor even older Socket 478 with the Socket 479 adapters), but it is indeed a 478 pin PGA. It's easy to get confused!
well sharkfood,get me more confused:it doesn`t work "on older socket 478" -does it work on newer?and if so, how new...?

To be clear, Socket-M does not work on *any* Socket 478, 479, or "converted" Socket 479 mainboards. It requires a Socket-M mainboard *only*...

At least to my knowledge, nobody has made any kind of Socket 478/479 -> Socket M converter! And even if they did, you'd also need some sort of BIOS kludge for proper CPU detection/usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back