What hardware can be used to use two devices with one monitor?

secretassasin69

I have an Acer X223HQ monitor which uses VGA format video and I would like to be able to use my PC and my PS3 with that in a way that it is easy to swap between the two without switching the cables.

the problem is that as you will probably know the PS3 uses HDMI instead of VGA and I looked for solutions to this and I found a cable which had a HDMI port on one side and a VGA on the other.

Then I read a review of that product saying that to do this you would need some sort of interface box. So I am not sure what to do.

yeah sort of but i would like it to let me switch between the video signals without the hassle of unplugging and replugging cables.

Well the adapter you are looking for is called a KVM switch
If you will be able to find one for a decent price supporting HDMI & VGA is a very different matter

Do note that if you do not get the sound from your PS3 via HDMI you could use a KVM switch supporting VGA and DVI only, and then a passive HDMI > DVI adapter....
Also note that this solution will not support HDCP, so you will not be able to watch blu-ray movies from the PS3 this way.... (AFAIK)

Well the adapter you are looking for is called a KVM switch
If you will be able to find one for a decent price supporting HDMI & VGA is a very different matter

Good point. Could probably pick up a cheap LCD monitor with multiple inputs (HDMI and VGA at least) for a cheaper or similar price to a KVM with HDMI support. Overclockers.co.uk usually have good deals of monitors around the £100 mark which would have multiple inputs.

Back