What internet service provider do you use and how do you rate it?

By Rik
Aug 24, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thought it'd be interesting to see what ISP's people are using and what they think of them?

I will start off by saying i use "Now" Internet and i don't think much of it.

Its a 3G wireless connection and is proving to be very unreliable.

Its a 512k connection with a 10gig per month "usage" limit costing £16 pcm.

It started off as "Netvigator" and was much much better, they changed the name, bought in some new modems working on untested technology.

If I'm 1 day late with the payments they moan yet i cannot get a discount for all the down time. One month, i got maybe 8 hours online and it took half an hour to get to my emails.
  2. nickslick74

nickslick74 Newcomer, in training Posts: 883

I use Comcast for my Internet access. 6Mb connection with no limit on hours. I would rate them 8 out of 10 for a few outages recently and the cost ($45 a month). Customer service has been fine the few times I've had to use it.
  3. kirock

kirock Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,598

Canada:
    Cogeco (i.e. cable company)
    High Speed Internet Standard
    10MB connctions, works like 7-8Mb
    50G/month soft limit (never seen it yet)
    9 out of 10 for overall speed and reliability.

My other option would be Bell Canada's Sympatico (DSL), I had this in another city in an apartment building for like 3 days and called them to come and take it away. I've seen 56K dial-ups faster then that!
  4. Rik

Rik Banned Topic Starter Posts: 4,987

I think an "out of 10" scoring system is in order. I'm feeling generous so i will give my "Now" Internet connection a 2, and that's only because it hasn't gone down today. YET!!!!!!!
  5. altheman

altheman Newcomer, in training Posts: 541

I use Supanet, a UK based ISP. I've not really had any problems with them, except for the occasional downtime, but that is really rare. I pay £22 for a 1MB connection, with no download caps.

Everytime I've spoken to their customer service, they've been really helpful.
    Rating: 4/5

1 star less for not providing a free speed upgrades like other ISPs. I really don't wanna switch to another ISP with faster speeds, because all the ISP's now have a "fair usage policy", which is just a method of bumping people off.
  6. ThePhantomPain

ThePhantomPain Newcomer, in training Posts: 35

I use Telenet Internet, it's a Belgium based Cable provider, wich grants me in the basic subscription 10 MB/s whereas 6MB/s really confirmed and it grants me a 10 GB download limit and a 2GB uploadlimit. Uploadspeed is 192KB/s which is slow, but overall I give them a 8/10 for their superb helpdesk.
  7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,010   +218

S. California, USA
    I'm on Adelphia.net which has just come out of bankruptcy and thus recently
    acquired by Time Warner. This is a cable based service (as dsl is too remote).
    How fast is my Adelphia High-Speed Internet service?
    Adelphia High-Speed Internet offers three levels of service. Preferred is our most popular level of service and provides download speeds up to 4 Mbps. (Note: Extreme High-Speed Internet is available in limited areas, offering download speeds up to 16 Mbps and upload speeds up to 2 Mbps.)​
    I just ran SpeedTest with DL=4472, UL=432

Cost? Expensive: 49.95/mo USD with a prerequisite of the Digital Cable service.

Reliability: Above average. Very few outages in 3 years. Updating my router firmware was a great improvement.

Help desk is (was) excellant ... we'll have to wait to see how effective Time Warner will be. The modem failed this spring and was replaced in a reasonable time (24 hrs).

{fyi: Earthlink is/was my preferred ISP, but that was only dial-up service.
    really too bad we can't get HS like DSL/Cable directly from them :(
    }
  8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

Roadrunner. Killeen, Texas. Expensive and average quality. Quite a few outages.
    However when I had roadrunner in El Paso, Texas the service was very good with little outages.
  9. Peddant

Peddant Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,644

Take a look HERE Might save you a few shekels.

I use the £15/2MB service (Tiscali).Seems OK to me,but I`m not a power user.

The only problem with Tiscali, is the Tech support`s very shaky grasp of the English language.
    But I think that`s common to most big ISPs.
  10. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

I use NTL cable broadband. £24.99 per month for a 4MB connection with no cap.

I get just under 500KBps down and 50KBps up.

I`ve had the connection for over two years and apart from the odd hiccup, it`s been very good.

Regards Howard :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.