TechSpot

What is ActiveX ?

By Holly
Dec 10, 2004
  1. Hey,
    If anyone can tell me what ActiveX is when you want to play games? when i try to play a game on msn messenger or like "ZONE" it says something about "ACTIVEX" and that i need to download it and that I don't have it. If any one knows what this is..please contact me! thanks very much :)

2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

I think you mean Direct X, but maybe you mean ActiveX, so here is what that is. Or, rather, what an ActiveX control is.

What is DirectX?

www.techweb.com

Downloads:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...20-bfbb-4799-9908-d418cdeac197&DisplayLang=en

3. Holly

Holly TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

Phantasm66 about ActiveX

I read your reply! thanks for replying to me.
    It doesnt really fit to what I was getting. I was getting something on msn messenger when I tried to play games with other people and I see it everywhere now when i'm trying to do something. If by any chance can you check it out and research "ActiveX" for me?
    Thanks!

4. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

You can think of ActiveX as a small program running in the background, as this is the type of ActiveX you are refering to.

5. Phantasm66

Does it say that you need to install an activex Add-on?

It may be that you are missing Macromedia Flash player to view some of the content on the page. Go to the Macromedia Web site and download it.

6. Holly

Holly TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

Phantasm66 THANKS but one more question

ok i found it! that is EXACTLY what i am looking for..but it wont let me click on it..what do i have to do to be able to click on it?
    Thanks
    Holly

7. Phantasm66

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.