TechSpot

What is better? Linux or Windows 7

By Dannyk0ed
Jan 23, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have windows 7 ultimate and i want to know if linux is better, Please reply

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,946   +586

please DEFINE "better"

Results depends upon
    1. your needs
    2. the responders experience

the question is so vague that there's so little orientation to know/guess 'which way is up'.

3. Dannyk0ed

Dannyk0ed TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 63

Just for performance and tools,

4. jobeard

OK, that's a start.

Linux is ~ 1/3 the overhead of Windows and will perform extremely well (apples/apples on the same hardware).

Tools? As a software developer that grew up without a GUI IDE, the tools on Linux are just great for me, but for those accustom to MSE -- likely to be very frustrating.

5. Dannyk0ed

Dannyk0ed TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 63

Do you use linux?

6. jobeard

LONG TIME :) I use Redhat (two versions) for Web site development as a triple booted mini-tower system.

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,681   +392

How old are you? I know this sounds like maybe a dbag question, and well maybe it is, but I don't intend it to be.

If you are pretty young, say under 20, you can probably make a "switch" to linux fairly easily. So if you are that young, I'd suggest you use whatever flavor of linux you want, exclusively, for a month. Then decide.

If you are older than 20, well, use a VM to play with linux, try to learn as much as you can, but I expect you'll end up staying with what you've 'grown up with' which is probably Windows.

8. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,189   +415

Haha - I've got some new terminology to use around here... dbag questions. Thanks SN! Those will go perfectly with all my dbag answers.

9. jobeard

SNGX1275's answer fits perfectly also as to ones motivation for change:

* Change for change sake is in the long run just chewing up time.

* Change for evaluation of 'do I like it; does it feel faster' may be interesting but ultimately frustrating'.
    In such cases, I would recommend a LIVE CD system like Knoppix which boots Linux
    directly from a CD and leaves your HD unmodified - - you can play without risking your Windows install.

* Those that contemplate 'I need Linux because it will allow me to _ _ _ _' will begin the journey and just
    make it work for them because of the higher motivation.

10. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,416   +77

Jobeard's post is one of the most sensible I have ever read concerning how to think about the Linux/Windows dichotomy, and SNGX1275 also gives excellent guidance.