What is -.exe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanicSchmanik

I connect my Ipod to a computer and an exec from the Ipod called " -.exe " tries to connect to internet. I block it, but in taskmanager there's now a file called " -.eXe " which takes up a lot of CPU.

I would've just searched the net, but search engines aren't case sensitive, and don't recognise this symbol thingy: - . (Dunno what it's called in English.)

I think this question fits in this forum section, but if it doesn't, sorry.

You should probably delete it, and if it reappears, use a trick: make an empty -.exe file and make it read-only. That way you can be sure no more -.exe will appear.

Cheers :)

You question is not clear enough for a final answer, but this might help you understand the .exe file extension:

Executable File Microsoft Corporation
Source: http://filext.com/file-extension/EXE
An executable file is basically another name for a program. Virtually all programs that run under Windows or DOS are in the .EXE format. ...... If your EXE file extension association has been disabled, see the Associated Links for a possible fix. Note: This file type can become infected and should be carefully scanned if someone sends you a file with this extension.

You are posting in the Virus and Malware Removal Forum. If you would like help with that, please follow the steps here: Virus and Malware Removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back