What is overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggah

basically how do i overclock? and what is it useful for?

Just getting into the pc world and this seems like something discussed a lot so can someone please explain this to me?

Ok so i'm no NOOB but i am a newb and yes there is a difference. And if you where trying to be a jerk then maybe you should just grow up. But other than that Thanks for the explanation now how do I go about carriing it out. I would really like to attempt overclocking and see what it does.

piggah said:
basically how do i overclock? and what is it useful for?
Overclocking can be done by just changing some BIOS settings, but has to be done keeping parameters like stability and component temperatures (among others) in mind. It helps you get more out of a cheaper part, so you can make it perform on par with a more expensive one.

Overclocking success depends to a large extent on the motherboard being used, as well as the component that is to be OCed. Also, it is always great to have aftermarket cooling installed if you're overclocking a CPU or a GPU. There are various guides to OCing that can be found by just Googling the term.

I hope that helped. Good luck! :)

thanks rage that gives me something to research and learn more about while i'm away from the states. :). Actually everything I'm learning is giving me something to research While i'm here.

That is something that I would experiment slowly with. If you take it too far too fast, you can kill your motherboard,CPU,and your RAM. Some motherboards chipsets will not overclock. Don't even have that option in BIOS. Mine is one of them.

sooooooooo where do you suggest i begin this interesting application of upgradingness :) lol.

Ok so i'm no NOOB but i am a newb and yes there is a difference. And if you where trying to be a jerk then maybe you should just grow up. But other than that Thanks for the explanation now how do I go about carriing it out. I would really like to attempt overclocking and see what it does.

Tedster wasnt trying to be a jerk. The information you inquire about can be easily googled with thousands of threads about it. Down to the last bios power option.

and its not for noobs. Unless you have a decent power supply, ram, cpu and mobo that will allow you headroom for it, oh and lets not forget the all important cpu cooler then you shouldnt be doing it.

On the behalf of TS, we're not telling you really how to burn out your hardware. Just detering you not to.

I think the majority of us are happy though that you didnt try it and ask "Is my computer broken?"

Good day to you.

alright cool I mean i just figured it would be easier to ask and less time consuming. and plus getting peoples opinion on the matter made me feel a little bit better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back