What is the best CPU available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdFusion1990

I would like to purchase a new computer for my family, and slowdown has always been an issue. The computer they use currently holds a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz. CPU. Buying a new computer, I know I should get enough Ram to help slowdown, but I would really like to know what would be the absolute best processor I could purchase without it being too expensive.
I don't want it to be mid-ranged or anything, but it doesn't need to be the most powerful/expensive processor available, just the all-around best. Intel/AMD, I don't really care. In my personal, non-family, computer, I have an Intel E6600 2.4 Ghz, which is great, but still has its slowdown moments. I need a processor that eliminates slowdown as much as possible. Any help/ Newegg products would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming no overclocking, I'd say go with an e8500.

If you really want a quad, then either q6700 or q9450

If you do want to overclock, then you could go with a model or two down (and save some cash) and crank it up a bit. In that case an e8400 or q6600 would probably be the best options.

I think you first need to be clear about what you mean by"slowdown moments". Take, for example, if you mean "slowdown" while browsing the internet (which happens). But understand in those types of cases, the fastest computer in the world can only give you information as fast as it can get it from the internet so circumstance like slow web servers on a web site, your ISP carrier traffic, are things that can't be controlled by a faster CPU

/***** Edit *******/
My point being, is still good to get a fast CPU to meet your needs. But don't expect it to fix all the "slow" moments one can have on a computer as some of the moments rely on events and devices beyond the computer's control.

To answer Route44: Budget for the CPU is about $200-$300/ Minimal gaming - Loads of files to look at and use, i.e. Pictures & Videos from camera

I see what you mean, and I know the internet is independent from the hardware. The slowdown I am referring to is long file load times (I can't seem to scroll through a folder of pictures on "Thumbnail" view without waiting 15 minutes), inability to use any two applications at the same time without long waits, and constant freezing of applications when I try to open files and such.

Have you considered the fact that you may have a malware infestation of some sort? Also, if you use Norton or McAfee, it is highly likely that it is causing the slowdowns. I'd recommend regular scans with any free anti-spyware program (Spyware Doctor from the Google Pack is best IMO) and using a free firewall in place of the Windows Firewall.

If you're pretty sure it's not that, I recommend going with the Q6600, since the E8400 is not listed as compatible with your motherboard.

I don't believe malware or anti-virus programs are causing the slowdown mainly because the slowdown only occurs when loading pictures and videos, not really when I'm looking through some regular Word files.
I would, of course, be getting a new (compatible) motherboard, so would you suggest a Q6600 or a E8400 for better performance? Or would a Q9450 beat both?

For multi-tasking, nothing beats a quad-core CPU. For you, I believe the Q9300 will be best. It will also OC very easily to hit 3GHz and beyond, giving you the best bang-for-your-buck.

To put it simply and answer pretty much all your questions, if you buy a quad core Q9300 you wont experience slow down when looking at thumbnails in pictures, encoding movies etc etc. It is a high end quad core at a very good price, and you won't be complaining. It is better than AMD's offerings and is the best bang for buck Quad Processor from Intel that you can buy at the moment.

Hope that helps

The Q9300 would probably lose out to the E8500 due to the latter's stock frequency being about 600MHz higher than the Q9300 and the E8500 having a larger amount of cache per core (3MB, compared to 1.5MB for the Q9300). Games are very sensitive to cache size, so performance will be better with the E8500. But for multi-tasking, you'd see a vast difference between both, with the Q9300 allowing you to encode video and rip a DVD while watching an HD video. The E8500 will experience slowdown in this scenario. Both will be a significantly faster upgrade from your current CPU, so whichever you pick, you're guaranteed a performance increase. Just how much depends on your choice of CPU.

I think a bullet list to help summarize / enumerate current thoughts would help pull the pieces together to help configure and price a system.

Let’s see if I can’t start it off and summarize / enumerate some of the points and also list some still open questions / considerations

This will be the new family computer. It would run applications such as
  • Internet Security Suite
  • Office-type applications needed include Word, Excel and FrontPage
  • Multi-media software suite to edit and manage photos and video as well as burn CDs and DVDs (Do you want HD Blue-ray support also?) However, am assuming a package to peform normal / typical edit features vs full multi-media edit functions.
  • Backup software which supports full disk image backup/restore as well supporting more typical file/directory backup and recovery
  • An external hard drive to support backups to a physically separate media then your data
  • You’ll have to get Vista at this point. Any idea which Vista version sounds right for you?
  • You’ll review your needs and other options but will put a “stake in the ground” and assume these. Feel free to modify as you see fit.
    • 4GB RAM
    • Minimum 160GB (or you think higher min?) internal hard drive
    • Consider a fast internal drive as well
    • 250 or 500GB external USB2.0 drive? Or probably still better to get a single, though a bit more expensive, large network drive that all your computers can acess and use
    • Graphics card to be determined
    • What are your requirements for a Monitor? Wide screen or normal screen. What size? Should it support HD?
    • You could surf the net and find lots of people talking about Core 2 Duo E8500 vs. Core 2 Quad 9300. Test results (and people’s opinions based on their experience) is generally the E8500 is better for general processing. But I think that decision is ignoring the fact that the 9300 is a quad processor and most general applications running today haven’t yet done anything to take advantage of a quad. Since your buy the computer now and planning to keep it awhile, the 9300 is the better investment as, over time, more and more general apps will be improving just because it runs on quad.
    • Do you have any requirements or expectations about warranties / service plans?

Thanks for all the help, I'll be able to decide which one I want with confidence now. And thanks for the bullets LookinAround

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back