What is the best DVD to AVI Converting Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Some advice please, what is the best software to use for converting my DVD into AVI format, I'm looking for some real good quality results with this conversion.

I suggest using DVD decrypter which puts ur movie into a .vob format which the program handbrake can convert into many different video files (mainly iPod) but I think u can set it to AVI too.
Repost when you try it please.

Yes sorry
Typing with big fingers on an iPod touch is kinds hard.

SNGX1275:

Do you know if there's similar programs to DVD Decrypter and handbrake for Mac OSx?

You might try searching for "Mac the Ripper". This might be quite difficult to find nowadays, as the originators of the program were having much difficulty keeping their website up and functioning due to efforts to the contrary on the part of the Macrovision corporation. This was a couple of years ago. If you can find the program however, it's pretty much DVD Decrypter for Mac. As to a "Handbrake" equivalent, sorry, I'm pretty much clueless.

As to a "Handbrake" equivalent, sorry, I'm pretty much clueless.
Handbrake was an OS X program before it was ported to Windows. :)

As for a DVD Shrink like program, try Fast DVD Copy 4.1 (if you can find it...) Seems companies that make these things don't stick around forever. In my experience with it is that it is SLOW, but it does work well.

Legal light

I am trying to shed some light on the legal aspect of using DVD Decrypter.

In the noted "321" case, Federal District Judge Susan Illston, of the Northern District of California, ruled that the backup copies made with software such as DVD Decrypter are in fact legal but that distribution of the software used to make them is illegal.

Now, only a judge can make, and only a lawyer can understand such counter-intuitive decisions.

I might, if pushed really hard, probably understand how a tool can be legal but its use illegal, the opposite however it beyond my simple layman’s…er…laycat’s (sometimes I forget that I am a cat) logic. How can a tool be illegal, when it’s use is legal?

Any lawyer on board understands this? What's more, can he prove such understanding by explaining it?

And don’t tell me there are other uses of it which are illegal, because I’ll answer, there are also other uses of the whole computer which are illegal.

Macrovision Corp. managed to convince the court that the program was being primarily being used in a manner consistant with violations of theDMCA. Arguably, the program is illegal. However, it certainly can't be "recalled", but it's actually possible to use the program in an illegal manner towards a legal end.

DMCA provides that it's illegal to circumvent to copy protection if it's present in the media in question.

However,it's quite legal to copy a disc that you personally own, once, for the express reason of maintaining a backup copy. So after which, you could obviously entertain a lively, (albeit silly) debate, as to whether you could then legally make another backup if the first backup broke.

However, it should be noted, in strict accordance with DMCA, you commited a crime when you cracked your own disc in the first place!

So, IMHO the trial judge in the "above captioned action" ruled correctly with respect to copying versus distribution. With one omission. It's possible that the distribu-tor and the distribu-tee to be the same individual. Borrow a DVD, copy that DVD, keep the copy for yourself. Viola, instant violation of the DMCA, plus the violations of the pre-existing standard copyright laws. You violated the express contract between the lender and yourself, which exculpates the lender from concommitant jeopardy for the instant offense.

Now granted, there are 2 disparate, opposed common law legal principles in operation here. 1; there is no felonius intent when you back up your own DVD. But that contradicts, "I didn't know it was illegal to copy my legally purchased DVD with a legal program. Heh! Ignorance of the law is no excuse!

DVD Decrypter is legal in the same sense that a gun is legal. Usage dictates it's status.

The problem is this, the RIAA and MPAA believe that in a case such as, if the owner of a VHS tape copies it onto a DVD, there's a copyright violation. So, they're entitled to make a profit, everytime the media changes. So, while it may sound ridiculous, at some point, you could claim that showing the disc to your friends and family constitutes "public exhibition of a copyrighted work", and that everybody there, should own a copy of the disc before viewing yours, or that everybody present should be made to pay a $1000.00 admission fee to your little home theater. Not to you of course, but to the MPAA! This is perhaps a hyperboly, but it isn't that far from DRM which prevents you from moving a song or movie to another device which you own.

The RIAA in particular is psychotic about the implied "value" of the copyright violation. "Give us $3000.00 because you ripped us off for a .99 cent song. Additionally, they march into court and swear on a stack of bibles, that every copy purloined was a copy they could have sold! If they marched into a psychiatrist's office spouting that same crazy a** s***, they'd find themselves in the state hospital for the mentally insane, at minimun, for a "3 day, long weekend" of fun and observation. Diagnosis, "delusional disorder". Hey, the courts are apparently paid off to believe them. And they're of sufficient pathology to believe themselves.

I always end one of these rants like this; don't sit around your house thinking it's a good idea to see the internet as the source of all your entertainment media. Because boys and girls, and children of all ages, if DVDs are outlawed only outlaws will have DVDs

Now, wouldn't that render all this moot?

And, since software companies are trying to see if they can float the idea that programs should be a subscription service, don't put ANYTHING past the entertainment industry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back