What is the best Laptop for Gaming?

By doggie55
Feb 4, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Some are telling me anything with 64-bits and windows 7 will not work on a lot of games. Now I do play CrossFire a lot, so will this work on CrossFire?
    I am trying to stay around $1,000.00, and I need a low ping & high FPS.
    So what do you have for me?

Thank You!
  2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,032   +69

You may have a look at ibuypower they allow you to customize/configure your own notebook/ and PCs.

At 1000$ you can get a mid-range gaming notebook; not a high-end complete with all the bells & whistles etc.

Having said that for about, there can be few choices you may choose to have a loot at.

1. Dell's Alienware Mx15/or 17 (you can customize specs) but nothing here starts below 1000$ mark.
    2. This HP dv6 is worth having a look as well
    3. Levono Idea Pad, seem reasonably good midrange solution.
    4. Asus G51Vx, and review here.
  3. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

As Archean pointed out with a grand you're not going to get anything high-end but for sure a solid mid-range laptop. Also since you said you played CrossFire mainly I'd like to point out that it's not really a demanding game (specs), but according to the site it does not support Windows 7. Googling around I read that some got it working for 64bit but not 32bit, so good news for you :) . Still you should double check at the official forums and see what others who have tried it say.

Also to get a low ping just make sure you have a good net connection and aren't using WiFi!
  4. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,510   +308

I haven't done much research for gaming laptops as of late, so I can't recommend specific models, but the short answer is to buy the laptop with the fastest GPU possible.

You are going to have to look a bit harder than usual because $1,000 is not a whole lot for a gaming laptop, while it does get you a pretty decent general purpose machine, that's not what you want.

These guys usually have the best information about mobile GPUs performance:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/
  5. Archean

Exactly that 1,000$ limit gets you not much further; when i tried to build a notebook (to see what sort figures i'll get) which I would actually want (if i was looking to play game son it); after customization I ended up with the price tag of about 2,000$+.

Edit:
    notebookcheck has a review of Asus G73JH and I think its very capable gaming notebook.
  6. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,492

I'm going to put this out here, be VERY careful not to be lured in by laptops with huge gpu's, such as the 9800m/gtxm (or whatever it is, the mobile 9800 gtx).

My friend has had his Gateway replaced 3 times, all due to it overheating and "melting the GPU", causing artifacts, etc, to slowly appear.

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better.
  7. Archean

Heat is a major issue with these sort of notebooks; so it would be appropriate to use a cooling pad along with these to keep temperatures under control.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.