What is the best Modem router options for my home network?

By summit21
Apr 1, 2010
  1. I currently have a dell desktop hardwired to my comcast cable (12MB speed). Components are Linksys wireless g cable modem gateway (wcg 200 model), and a vonage phone VDV21 phone router. My signal will intermittently drop, have to re-boot both the linksys modem/gateway and the vonage router. Comcast said the linksys modem was no longer a good modem with their service but activated it anyway. They tried to say it was not docsis 2.0 compliant and it is. They recommended a docsis 3.0 modem would work better, but I have not found many avaialble. Would I be bettter off with a cable modem and seperate wireless router for my home network? I am looking at doing something like apple tv, but want a more reliable connection as well as faster if posssible. The range is good when working with my laptop in basement. It just seems that larger files/webpages with video will knock off my signal completely at times.
  2. summit21

summit21 TS Rookie Topic Starter

cue desert scene in cartoon with lonely whistle............
  3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

I second that for the Belkin N+ although they're about to release the Belkin Play Max Wireless N/Gig Router. This one will sport 480MHz NPU, Dual Band 2.4GHz/5GHz, 64MB of DDR2 RAM, and Gig Controller will have 128KB for Packet Buffering, 9K Jumbo Frames and 4K for Mac Address Looks and 300 max connections for P2P. Prior Belkin N+ has Single Band 2.4GHz, NPU from 266MHz to 348MHz, 32MB of DDR2 RAM, and Gig Controller has 832KB for Packet Buffering and 200 max connections for P2P.

I own two Belkin N+ one is the main DHCP/AP for 802.11n only and the second is kept on two floors up as the secondary/AP 802.11n. Most of my 802.11n wireless clients connect tot he secondary. Signal is stronger though it's position closer to the floor though. The first one is kept in a network closet in basement family room. Still would recommend the Belkin N+ for now. I am going to get the newer one when it's available though.
  5. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

...and there is the expert opinion I was speaking of summit ;)
  6. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

Hi Tipster

i'm not current on where they are on the 802.11n stuff/rollout so just asking to know... But do you also need matching Belkin N+ adapters to take full advantage of the Belkin n+ router? Or are you using mixed brands?
  7. fniefisher

fniefisher TS Rookie

VDV25 router is best option for home use,i use it and enjoy its high speed.
  8. tipstir

Nope you don't need the same brand. Yep to your second question. I was using TEW-641PC (Version V1.0R) with the chipset maker Realtek TW was sending me the drivers as Trendnet had old versions drivers since 2008. Realtek TW had sent me what I needed via email. You got to like that support. But anyway their drivers work perfect in 802.11n under IPV4. Now I am using IPV6 and the Belkin N+ supports that feature very well with Windows 7.

Today I've gone all new with the new equipment I've purchased. 2x Gig are Marvel PCI-E 64-bit and 1x Gig PCI-E adapter Realtek in towers and 802.11n built-in on the for mobile equipment 2x laptops and 1x netbook ASUS and then the ACER Aspire One has 802.11g but I did pick-up a mini N150 USB by Airlink (don't use windows 7 drivers from MS) this one you need to be using the OEM drivers which is Realtek.

The laptops and netbook are using ATheros chipset on-board. Out of the box experience they connected 100% to the Belkin N+

Prior using XP with 7 I found that it was better to invoke the hidden IPV6 in XP and then XP SP3 and 7 systems could see each other without issue.
  9. tipstir

Correction: NPU in the new Belkin Play Max will be 533MHz with 32KB Instruction and 32KB Data Cache.
  10. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

OK. Thanks for the info :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.