What is the best thing to do for static ip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

I have an isy 99 and a NAS and want to check them periodically when I am gone but the ip address changes sometimes and I can't get in. Someone suggested DynDNS. Could someone explain to me how this works? Thanks.

Take a look [post=861997]at this post[/post] (and thread). Let us know if any further question

/* edit */
So note.. dyndns provides you with a "static hostname" so you don't need a "static ip".... it's like you can always go to hostname www.google.com even tho google's underlying IP address keeps changing. Think of dns as kind of like the internet's phone book lookup by name (where numbers can change)

No-IP also! I've use DD one when I was away on a Cruise Ship out in Virgin Islands. The wireless on the ship at the time was 802.11g at $5 per 3-minutes. Expensive but effective. I was able to connect via DD to my ISP to my DSL at the time. Update HTPC programs so they would record. Remote into systems to see if anything is lurking around via Web Cam. Off on client sites the same process works very well. DD account as to be active otherwise they'll drop you quickly!

What did you have to do to get it set up?

DD setup, go to their site. Make sure your Router supports DD or No-Ip. Most of them do now for remote control. That needs to be setup. Port also 8080 or you can change that too. On the DD site you would setup the account, their software on that site should detect your IP address. Then you would select one of the following:

homeip.net

So your IP address would be your name_homeip.net
Back on your vacation access you would type:

Example:"<-"http://ingeborgdot_homeip.net:8080/computer"->" name (optional for computer name) I use to use Ultra VNC on both ends. The wireless laptop and the wired desktop running at home base. Optional to use Ultra VNC. Before you leave I would test out the system to make sure it works. Drive your vehicle to a Library or Hot Spot Cafe to see if you can connect to your homebase. Because once you're away and something goes wrong you won't have help. Best to setup UPS backup device if you think you'll loose power or another laptop with dual batteries. You need something that can handle power loss. Here all wired gig are set in the BIOS to do a full reboot if power lost.

I got my dyndns acct setup but I am too stupid to figure out what to do next. Can anyone guide me? Thanks.

Then you'll need to download and run the support tool from DynDns (look for it under DynDns support tools). Run it to configure it.

No, should have nothing to do with ATT.

The tool runs on your computer and periodically checks the dynamic IP assigned to your router.
> If it sees the router IP address changed, it notifies DynDNS to update your hostname

This does means if you have multiple computers on your home network the tool must be running on at least one computer to detect the change. So you might need to install it on all computers to assure at one least one computer will detect the change if your computers are simply turned on/ off as needed

I have downloaded the tool and am synced. So when I want to I can now just sign in with my name?
It means that you can reference your computer by its static hostname rather then its dynamic/changing IP address in the address bar of your browser. Is that what you mean?

What I mean is that I would rather not have to have my computer on to check what I need to check when I am gone. That is why I would probably update router but as I said finding a modem and router that is good and goes with AT&T is not easy as far as I have been told.

What I mean is that I would rather not have to have my computer on to check what I need to check when I am gone. That is why I would probably update router but as I said finding a modem and router that is good and goes with AT&T is not easy as far as I have been told.

Does that mean you are trying to connect to a non-computer network device on your home LAN (e.g. a network server?) or what is it you want to access when you;re away?

Hmmm... off hand i'm not sure the best answer. Normally i'd just advise you get a Netgear router (as netgears support the DynDNS update function) but don't know if that's an option with ATT.

You might be best to first check with ATT to see if they either:
> Offer a router that supports update notifications to DynDNS or
> See if you can connect your own Netgear to ATT

If those aren't options, post back and look see if other alternatives might be available

I need to try to get my 2wire port to work first. Until I get a new setup and even if I don't I need to set up my 2wire to work for now. I will check on how to open up my port. 80 is refused right now.

Sorry the double post.. but to make sure you see...

In worst case (if ATT requires the 2wire) looks like you can buy a netgear and bridge it to the 2wire so it handles the dyndns updates for you see here

Yes the client software has to be running always. There was away around that in some routers would send a ping to DynDns thus you didn't the client software again. But you're on 2wire-router so you'll need to setup that one if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back