What is the Best Way To Learn Speed Typing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertq

Hi All,

This is embarrassing but I must face the facts.

I have been using a computer for over 10 years but never learnt to speed type.

I feel so stupid in front of a kid when typing, trying to find every key, even though I am really good when it comes to doing thing in my own profession on a computer

I must learn to speed type & learn fast because I am not so young.
Can you guys help me ?

What is the best way to learn touch typing ?

What software or something else will help me to learn touch typing ( Speed Typing ) fast ?

Money is not a problem but time is ! I am not young but young at heart & want to learn before my young heart slooow......s down.

I will be very grateful for any & all help.

Thank you all & I am grateful to all on this forum. You guys are genius.

Kind Regards.
Robert

I learnt just by talking to my friends on MSN haha. I did use a program in high school in a computer class i had to do but i can't remember the name.

Remember Google is your best friend :D
Try these

HERE

HERE

They are just free online ones but see how they go for you

It's hard for me to say what is best but I learned to touch type in a classroom setting the old fashioned hard way. Some people (like me) need the discipline the classroom gives. It's too easy to cheat and look at the keyboard when you are by yourself. That just slows down the learning process IMHO.

Touch typing is not looking at the keyboard when you type but in my typing class (yes, using an actual typewriter) we learned not to look at the paper in the typewriter either, just the source copy. Well, I did say old fashioned but that does force you to learn to touch type fairly quickly.

I picked mine up from PC video games. When your running around and need to type something, you got to do it quick and correct and get moving again or a sniper will find your head. But ive been playing fairly solid for 7 or 8 years so its probably not the best method for ya.

Practice practice practice. Print a document off and try retyping it without looking, find which keys your haveing trouble finding and work on words with those letters in them, like q and z and b, those i have a lot of issues with.

There are also programs you can purchase that are fairly cheap (sub $20) that are designed to teach typing. they start out with drills like:
aaa sss ddd fff asdf fdsa fdsa asdf
jjj kkk lll ;;; jkl; ;lkj ;lkj jkl;

Once you get the basic home row figured out then it moves into drills using the other rows and eventually numbers. Its a gentler way into learning which finger needs to go to which key, and builds the muscle memory to make it happen. The program will also have tests to time you and check for accuracy.

Hope this helps

Late?

I'm sure this is too late. I'm sorry, though I would like to voice my opinion.

I'm a fairly good typer but I had trouble. My school currently uses a program called Microtype , it is very efficient and you can learn in just a week or so, depending on how long one uses the program.

Anyway, I hope this will be of help. If you already know how to type, this will serve as great practice for your weaknesses.

I hope all goes well.

Matthew,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back