What is the difference between Ubuntu and Kububntu, is one better than the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Might be more than this but essentially Ubuntu uses GNOME and Kubuntu uses KDE. If you're not familiar with either UI, try each out and decide what you prefer. Personally, I prefer KDE.

Zenosincks said:
...Might be more than this but essentially Ubuntu uses GNOME and Kubuntu uses KDE. If you're not familiar with either UI, try each out and decide what you prefer. Personally, I prefer KDE.

You're right, plus the different apps that come with each. Most people I've talked to, and speaking from experience myself, Kubuntu is a rather bad attempt to get Ubuntu to KDE. I had serious issues trying to run Kubuntu 7.10 several times on a few different systems.

If you like KDE, which offers the best look and easiest to move from Windows, then OpenSUSE 10.3 has the best KDE integration.

Honestly, I've used both (although Kubuntu only briefly) and I much preferred openSUSE 10.3 despite the issues I had with it.

I don't have much to say about the KDE implementation in Ubuntu, though.

Yeah, like Zenosincks and jonmcc3 said, if you like KDE, then go for another distro, however if GNOME is what you want, then just stick with Ubuntu, and you'll be fine.

Besides the desktop environment, there's also the different applications, that come installed by default. You can run GTK applications on KDE and vice versa, but they just don't look very visually integrated with the rest of the system.

I personally prefer GNOME, but I'm not going to elaborate on why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back