What is the difference from Win7 OEM to Win7 Retail?

TeamworkGuy2

I am considering purchasing a 3 pack of Windows 7 license from the Windows store,
before the $150 deal ends.
However, I was wondering of there are any major differences between a set of
retail disks from the Windows store, and a set of OEM disks from newegg.com?
Thank You

OEM will only install on the system its discs were built for. So if you had a Dell disc, it would only install on a Dell system. Get it?

Taken from Newegg Details tab relating to OEM Win 7 disc.

Disclaimer
Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

OEM will only install on the system its discs were built for. So if you had a Dell disc, it would only install on a Dell system. Get it?
This is completely incorrect! What you're actually referring to, is system "restore discs". These are disc images created from a factory installation of Windows. What they are not, is an actual Windows disc. The builders license provides that the HDD should be imaged after OEM Windows is installed, and support for the installation goes then to the system builder, not M$. With "restore discs", the required hardware drivers, and arguably the "junkware", are included in the image. So that all the customer need do, is pop in these discs for a complete system restoration. Now, do you get it?

The drive imaging provision is written into the builder's license, but do it yourself PC builders overlook this. M$ actually overlooks this as well, but stands firm on the non-transferability provision.

An OEM copy of Windows is the same as a retail version of Windows, (physically), save for this; you cannot transfer an OEM copy of Windows to another PC. A retail copy of Windows can be used in a many PCs as you like. However, it can only be used in one PC at at time. Don't think they'll let you reactivate it every two weeks, that would be well above and beyond the spirit of "transferable".

This special deal on the Win 7 family pack is neither OEM nor Retail. It's an "upgrade" edition, and requires Windows Vista be installed of the PC(s) in question. before in can be installed.

Am I correct in understanding that:
-If I buy a set of OEM disks I can install them on one (1) computer, I could not uninstall that copy and reinstall it on another computer.
-If I buy the $200 (newegg $180) retail version I could transfer the license to another computer.

So, I guess OEM is the way to go if I am building a computer.

Am I correct in understanding that:
-If I buy a set of OEM disks I can install them on one (1) computer, I could not uninstall that copy and reinstall it on another computer.
-If I buy the $200 (newegg $180) retail version I could transfer the license to another computer.
Yes, you are completely correct. Since you pay double upfront for retail copy, they better damned well let you transfer it, right?

So, I guess OEM is the way to go if I am building a computer.
OEM is pretty much the way we all go when building computers.Technically, an OEM copy of Windows must be purchased in association with permanent hardware, a board, a CPU, memory. If you were to walk into Microcenter, you would be required to have made these hardware purchases within the past 30 days, or you wouldn't be allowed to purchase OEM Windows. I'm not exactly sure what Newegg's policy is, since I'm constantly buying hardware from them.

The best way to keep everybody happy, is to simply order the OEM copy of Windows with the motherboard, and done!

Also keep in mind that with OEM Windows, you must choose 32 or 64 bit. Retail copies have both versions. I suggest 64 bit with Windows 7. If you're building a machine from current parts, you won't have any trouble finding drivers for it.

OEM, (and retail), Windows, allow the replacement of hardware over time, in this sense they are very similar. Points are assigned to different devices, and allowances are made for attrition and upgrading.

You can even change the motherboard with an OEM copy of Windows. (This applies to a you-bought OEM copy, not an OEM copy that comes with a pre-built computer).

However, in the instance of a motherboard replacement, Windows would require reactivation, and I would absolutely avoid changing any other parts at the same time

Back