What is the most popular DVD type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neowing

Hello ? Techspot.

I just got a question about dvd media.
There are several dvd type such as following:

BD-R, BD-R DL, BD-RE, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW, Mini DVD-R .

I want to know which type of media is the best for "Back-up", "Keep the personal data forever (such as video, files) ?

Also, I want to ask everyone who look at my thread: What type of media are you using ? (I alread list them in the previously).

From
neowing.

All the ones with BD in the front are actually types of Blue-Ray discs. Single layer Blue-Ray discs hold 25 gigabytes, and double layer 50, so they would be the best option for back up if your drive supports them. Normal DVD R discs only hold 4.7 gigabytes, and dual layer hold 9.4.

I personally use an external hard drive, not optical storage. Most of my pictures, videos, and music are backed up in other places though, like image hosting websites, my netbook, and my music player.

Hi Neowing

Of all the different options, i think it comes down to how portable do you need the data backup disk to be?
> If you need to read the backup from anyone's computer / disc player then you might just want + discs
> If you're essentially just reading / writing on your own computers then it's just a matter of cost vs. functional preference
==> R vs RW - you want to write once? or able to write and then re-write again later?
==> DL: do you want the higher capacity disk for the price?
==> + vs -: as i understand it, really only makes a difference if you want to play back on older players where i understand + is more portable.. but for yourself or more modern players is not matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back