TechSpot

What is Windows Hardware Remove

By learninmypc
Apr 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. It could be Windows Hardware Remover but the "r" don't show up.
    Anyhow, I was scrolling thru my WPM tunes when I saw this Windows Hardware remove.jpg
    At this point, I'm just curious. I haven't used my WMP on this W7 yet. I've only used VLC.

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Looks like you made the mistake of letting WMP scan your entire computer for media files. The above is most likely that DADUM sound that windows uses. The multiples are probably themed versions.

I'd delete everything and only manually specify your music folders.

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,312   +238

I honestly don't know how to do what you're suggesting.:confused:

4. St1ckM4n

CTRL+A, delete all (but don't delete file, when it asks you, delete from library only.)

Then, top-left: Organize > Manage Libraries > Music. Go ahead and choose your music folder.

5. learninmypc

Ok, I tried CTRL+A & nothing happens. However, I did go back into WMP & started deleting them from the LIBRARY only. I went looking for a folder in hopes of deleting them in a click, but didn't find it. Will continue deleting them singularly, give me a bit.:)

6. St1ckM4n

You can click on one, scroll a bit down, and click on another whilst holding SHIFT. This will highlight them all.

Or click on one and CTRL+A should work then...

What happened was, WMP imported Windows system sounds into your library lol. This is bad. :p

7. learninmypc

I managed to delete most of them. Trying to find a way to turn the updating off so it won't happen again.

8. St1ckM4n

Maybe go to Organise > Options > Player > DESELECT Add local media files to library when played.

Otherwise, it shouldn't happen again. The initial scan happens when you first launch WMP.

9. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,029   +913

WMP is garbage compared to VLC. Open source! Open source! lol.:eek:

10. learninmypc

I did that & will hope it won't update its self again, thanks.

11. learninmypc

I won't argue that. As I previously said, I've not even used it on this pc yet. I've been using VLC since I got this pc in Dec 2012.

12. JC713

I never use Windows Media player because it is complicated and there is something about VLC that is just better.

13. learninmypc

Might I ask what is complicated about it? I'm not denying what you're saying, but I'm just curious.

14. JC713

It isnt physically complicated, but instead annoying. I just prefer VLCs interface over WMPs.

Vilandra likes this.
  15. learninmypc

I just wish MS would listen to the user for input instead of thinking they know what is best. I loved & prefered WMP 9 I think it was. Personally, I like the visualizations they had. Anyhow, have a nice day. :)

JC713 likes this.
  16. JC713

Yeah, I hear you man!

17. St1ckM4n

VLC is a media player, WMP is a media library organiser. Completely different tasks. :p

18. learninmypc

Interesting, thank you.:)

19. JC713

Well, kind of. VLC does media organisation also and WMP plays media. They are both similar.

20. learninmypc

How about we all agree they both play music nicely. Different GUI's but basically the same.:)

21. St1ckM4n

No one is really disagreeing. :D I'm just pointing out the differences for you, since you don't seem aware of them.

VLC, foobar, are playlist-based media players. WMP, Winamp, MedaMonkey etc, these are all media library organisers which manage your entire library. There's key differences with them, it's useful to know when choosing what program to use for a particular purpose. :)

In the end, yes, they all do play stuff. :p

22. learninmypc

Ok, my apologies. I've always preferred WMP because it "was" (IMO) easy to use. Then I tried out winamp, don't remember why I left it. Have had & dumped real player & then I found out about VLC & fell in love with it because it can play flv videos back to back.
    I got this W7 on 12/23/12 & put Vlc on it & have used it exclusively till I decided to check out WMP. Didn't realize I'd have to download some visualizations to enjoy as the music plays. The VLC visualizations leave alot to be desired.LOL.

23. St1ckM4n

If you're after fancy visualisations, download Winamp just for them. Sit back, enjoy. :D

24. JC713

Winamp never really caught my eye. As for WMP being easy to use, that is the point.

25. learninmypc

The last time I had winamp, it had two boxes & was too confusing for me.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.