What is wrong with my PC?

By Bloodfyres
Oct 4, 2009
  1. Ok well i bought oblivion for the pc yesterday as it is a game i have wanted on pc for a while now, and i only recently got a pc with the capabilities to do it, or atleast i thought. Basically about 10-15 seconds into the game, my pc just restarts itself. i had this problem on one of my very old pcs but that was because it wasnt up to the games specs. before i continue ill give you oblivions recommended specs and my specs.

Oblivion Recommended specs;
    3 Ghz intel pentium or equivelent processor
    1gb RAM
    ATI x800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher Graphics card

Now my system (i got this off of the Oblivion diagnostics tool)
    perating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.090206-1233)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: .
    System Model: .
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 3326MB RAM
    Page File: 395MB used, 4814MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 9500 GT
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Display Memory: 1024.0 MB

I am not very good with computers so most of this means nothing to me, but maybe it does to some of you.
    I have tried running oblivion on low, medium, and high graphics settings and none of these work.
    I have only had one anomoly to the restarting and that is when the whole screen turned green and i had to turn off the computer because the restart didnt work.
    It plays other games like Empire total war on full Ultra setting graphics and anti aliasing perfectly fine
    I dont know what else i can say
    Any suggestions on what i can do? thank you for your time
    p.s. Try not to be too technical

i ran the can you run it test for recommended aswell and this is what i got;
    Recommended: Pentium 4 or Athlon XP or better
    You Have: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40GHz

CPU Speed
    Recommended: 3 GHz
    You Have: 2.40 GHz Performance Rated at: 3.6 GHz

Recommended: 1 GB
    You Have: 3.2 GB

Recommended: Windows 2000/XP/XP 64-bit
    You Have: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build Service Pack 22600)

Video Card
    Recommended: 128MB Direct3D compatible video card (NVIDIA GeForce 6800+ / ATI Radeon X800+)
    You Have: GeForce 9500 GT
    Features: Recommended attributes of your Video Card
    Required You Have
    Video RAM 128 MB 1.0 GB
    3D Yes Yes
    Hardware T&L Yes Yes
    Pixel Shader version 2.0 3.0
    Vertex Shader version 2.0 3.0

DirectX version
    Recommended: DirectX 9.0c (included on disk)
    You Have: 9.0c

Sound Card
    Recommended: Yes
    You Have: Realtek High Definition Audio

Free Disk Space
    Recommended: 4.6 GB
    You Have: 164.4 GB

Recommended: 8X DVD-Rom
    You Have: YC4771Q LMO333D SCSI CdRom Device

what exactly is wrong?
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

We can't really answer the question because we don't have enough information. Does this issue of restarting occur at any other time? And if so what are you doing?
  3. Bloodfyres

Bloodfyres TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

It doesnt appear at any other time. atleast none i have encountered.
  4. Route44

It could be a video card driver issue. I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* Let us know if this resolves the issue.
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,455   +1,758

I'm not much of a gamer, but that 9500GT might be a little light for "Oblivion". Not sure though, anybody else want to ring in?
  6. Bloodfyres

well according to that testing against game site thing that tells you what games your pc can run and mine was in the top performance for oblivion =S
  7. Bloodfyres

also note route 44, will do that now and see :)
  8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Oblivion should be fine on it, I played it on a Radeon 9600XT back in the day.
  9. Bloodfyres

urm how do i find the most up to date drivers for my pc, i dont know if im running windows xp 32 bit or 64 bit, but im guessing from my ram that its 64 bit isnt it? but the 64 bit drivers wont install on my windows? will installing the 32 bit ones affect my windows if my system turns out to be 32 bit?
  10. Bloodfyres

wow. i tried re installing my old drivers (they are not the newest) and that did it. i can now run oblivion! thank you so much
    just one final note, why do people think that the nvidia 9500 gt is rubbish, i have tested oblivion for quite a while now on the absoloute max graphics and theres been no problems. it even runs perfect with anti aliasing x 8 and in the middle of crowded places ect.
    i also, just to push my luck, ran Empire total war and oblivion on both on full graphics (empire with added detail and size mods) and they both managed to run pretty much perfectly at the same time :D
  11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,455   +1,758

Well, I for one don't think the 9500GT chipset is rubbish, since I own of these cards, and I'm quite happy with it.

It does however, lack a certain amount of snob appeal for people trying to run the very latest games, and there are many it won't run successfully.

Every time I mention my 9500GT card I get that old " it's wimpy" song and dance about it.

Realistically, it would probably falter on games such as "Assassin's Creed"and "Crysis".

To the upside, it's more energy efficient than older cards which would develop similar frame rates given the same game. Accordingly, it's much easier and cheaper to equip your computer with an adequate PSU.

As I said earlier, I don't know what the 9500GT will do with the games you listed.

In any event, I'm glad your problem was solved, and you're living happily ever after, so to speak
  12. Bloodfyres

is "Assassin's Creed" a high powered game? i wouldnt have thought so.
    and i think it does have the snob appeal, empire total war is a very recent game and its graphics are quite good (especially when you tally in all the mods and such) and i can run it on the tip top graphics without so much as a fraction of unperfectness.
    but thank you for your input anyway :D
  13. Route44

To add to what the captain said, there is a certain segment of PC gaming enthusiastes that must always have the cutting edge of anything and everything.

Are there better gaming cards than yours? Yes in both power and performance. But does your card do what you need it to do and you are pleased with it? Yes. But the snobs, as the captain likes to call them, are bewildered by this. :confused:

* As for your old driver working, this happens quite often until they straighten out the newer ones. Remember the rule on drivers: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  14. Bloodfyres

i will remember that :)
    Thank you so much for your help :D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.