What kind of music do you listen to?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Music is a big part of my life which is a bit ironic considering I didn’t really take a liking to music until I was well into my teens. These days, you can usually find me pounding away at the keyboard with my wireless headphones cranking out the jams.

With the long holiday weekend ahead, we’re curious as to what sort of music you enjoy. My taste in music varies greatly as I listen to everything from ‘90s alternative and rock to modern-day metal and even some underground rap, mostly depending on my mood. Feel free to share your preferences or even your favorite bands / songs in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

I think most genres out there from the last 80 years have something great in it (even classics from pre 20th century).

I listen to everything. Some music which people would clasify as horrible, tasteless, new age, modern hipster crap to classic rock, dance, new wave, hip hop, metal, country and so forth.

Its a shame when younger generation (not everyone but a lot) simply do not appriciate music from 70s, 80s and even 90s. Each era has a strong defining genre(s)/artists.

Music is probably my most favorite human art and could not live without it.

Mostly downtempo, particularly lounge. I also enjoy some progressive rock occasionally, with a smattering of newer symphonic metal. I also appreciate the late 70's and early 80's pop and rock quite a bit. Yes, a lot of 80's metal is absolutely epic and will never be equaled but I can't listen to it for extended periods anymore...gettin' old, I guess :'( There's very little new top 40 I can stand, either because its just outright garbage or because its so offensive that about a minute of every 3:05 track is (or should be) bleeped out. I think I can count on one hand the number of songs I've heard in the past 12 months that had any real degree of songwriting behind them and which were also safe to play with kids around (kids = anything pre-teen).

I used to listen to mostly 90s rock, such as P.O.D., Limp Bizkit, Staind, etc. Really got into Thousand Foot Krutch and a few others awhile ago too.

Then, a few years ago I mentioned to a friend how I wanted more electronic type music, and he introduced me to everything that is EDM. So now, all I listen to is EDM, with Skrux (no not Skrillex, look him up) being my favorite since I find his work rather original and skin-tingling. Blackmill, Seven Lions, and others are very original too, unlike the few that I always see toping any EDM ranking list.

My fav is blues, rhythm and blues and white boy blues...currently listening to a lot of Peter Green...again

Anything that sounds good really. Over 3000 hand picked songs on my phone ranging from techno to pop to country to rock to folk to classical...
Mainly listen the songs for the melody (so very little rap), or if it's catchy. And I definitely have some songs that people would judge me for lol

As a General rule of thumb I listen to everything, but there are bad artists in every genre.

I download 4K or similar quality torrents with music-vids from several online trackers which include big tit girls on high heels. Not care much for the music though.

For the most part, everything. But I am partial to Irish folk music. Dubliners, High Kings, Kilkennys, John McLean Allan, Cu Chulain. That sort of music. But there are great music in any genre you may find.

There is just one kind I never ever listen to. Those talentless talentshow contestants who wins a show, makes a record, and are never heard of again. I don't watch those shows, I don't listen to their music. For me, music has to come from the heart,

..continued.. music has to be sincere, and lyrics need to have som kind of message.

"Shake that booty" lyrics is not my cup of tea.

When lyrics have a message, then "Nothing else matters".

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't listen to music that much but when I do it is usually country. That doesn't mean I like all country music, however. One other singer I like is classical crossover Jackie Evancho.

Classical, 80's and older and any music (apart from that cacophonous mess called crap... or maybe it's called rap, same thing) that tickles my fancy, I don't care about genre or style and I've never had a favorite band or artist.

Carpenters to Korn; Aphex Twin to Samuel Barber; Lauryn Hill to Devin Townsend; Beatles to Fantomas; Miles Davis to NoFX; 'A' to Z(Z Top) - you get the picture. There's great stuff in most genres - enjoy it, celebrate it, but most of all keep listening to it whatever it is.

Being in my 50's. Was in my later teens, early 20's through the 80's. Love the 80's! Not the pop stuff so much, but the early days of Alternative Rock! Depeche Mode, The Smiths, Duran Duran, Psychedelic Furs, ect...

Guess I'm getting old, but todays music does nothing for me. Real bummer about Rock in general. Seems to not exist. Today's music seems to be more about show than talent. Does anybody play a guitar or drums any more?

Being in my 50's. Was in my later teens, early 20's through the 80's. Love the 80's! Not the pop stuff so much, but the early days of Alternative Rock! Depeche Mode, The Smiths, Duran Duran, Psychedelic Furs, ect...

Guess I'm getting old, but todays music does nothing for me. Real bummer about Rock in general. Seems to not exist. Today's music seems to be more about show than talent. Does anybody play a guitar or drums any more?

Points of reference to start: I'm 53 in a few weeks; I thought 1980 was a pivotal year in (rock) music (I'd add The Pretenders and a whole load more of simply superb music from that year); I was Floyd/Beatles/Stranglers/Rush/Genesis fan in my 'yoof'; and I've finally bought Electric Ladyland, which is currently playing; though I've also bought albums including Aphex Twin, Radiohead and The Horrors in the last couple of weeks.
It sounds to me like you need to 'get out more' - there is a helluva lot of 'rock' out there, it's true that the 'classics' aren't out there (yet), but they're not classics until some considerable time has passed. It sounds like you're one of the many who maybe got too comfy with their collection and slowed down - it's not a criticism, if you like your favourite music then that's great - we all seem to experience that dip after our teens when the time (or enthusiasm) for new music just doesn't seem to be there (I'd only worry if you didn't like music at all!). Don't be disillusioned with the pap we're fed; give it time and you might just find your way back into it - fill in the gaps, seek out those classic rock albums of the 90's (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam Pumpkins, Metallica, Faith No More, Chili Peppers, Skunk Anansie, even late XTC* - there's soooo much to discover) and you may find yourself listening to the like of Devin Townsend, The Decemberists, Jack White, Royal Blood, Queens of the Stone Age, Public Service Broadcasting* etc etc etc. Get Spotify and try some stuff for free and maybe look up that 1001 albums to listen to before you die
*ok, so these are references to some of the stuff that I have bought over the years

My favorite radio station in the car plays alternative. That has to be my favorite. The bass gives me stamina which most people miss on ipods/iphones. Stamina from the bass may represent love/money which might be why so many are poor now. No diamond stylus playing records either. Alternative sets a nice mood too. Current pop always tries to get you. Brother is heavily into heavy metal but I don't care for it. Don't get satellite or anything like that. Don't care for rap; gives you a rap sheet. Listen also to 90s pop/rock, country, oldies from 60s, ice tea, abba. Occasionally 70s and 80s hits come on, and some beatles and rolling stones. Haven't downloaded a song in ages; never torrented any songs. Brother who makes hi tech routers at molex never download a single song, legally or illegally. Delco radio in gm cars, where my father worked, makes excellent radios. There are some mix cds I burned for the car for my mother recording pbs shows like sarah brightman recorded on stereo vhs tape. Did lightscribe on them too. They sell no more vhs tapes.

Haven't downloaded a song in ages; never torrented any songs. Brother who makes hi tech routers at molex never download a single song, legally or illegally. .... There are some mix cds I burned for the car for my mother recording pbs shows like sarah brightman recorded on stereo vhs tape. .
Not wishing to go off topic but I wouldn't make a point of the legality of downloading a song if you're infringing the same copyright by recording off PBS, just saying...

The free kind. While driving anything on FM some ads have nice background music too. When at home usually from yotube or from free music streaming sites.

Back