What linux is best suited for a P-75mhz/8mb memory?

By Rick
Apr 12, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm looking for the ideal distro of linux for such an old computer. I've been looking around and Debian looks to be good, but I hear Debian is pretty difficult.

I'm a Linux n00b since I know basically nothing on how to get around in Linux... So something friendly would be ideal but I realize the choices are probably pretty limited considering the system specs required.
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Really any Linux will run with such as processor but the memory should be upgraded if possible....
  3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

You are determined to do something useful with that P75, aren't you??? Don't worry, we will figure something out....
  4. lokem

lokem Newcomer, in training Posts: 773

Just like what Phantasm said, any distro will do. But make sure you stay off of the heavy desktop environments like KDE and Gnome. They can really hog up your whole system. Try something light like BlackIce or something.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.