• Strings

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Woodwinds

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Atham

Hello there,

I would like to ask you guys and gals if you happen to play any instruments. If you do then tell us what piece you played that you really liked.
Also, if you don't happen to play an instrument, what would you like to learn to play on?

I play two instruments:
The classic guitar

Can't wait to see your answers. By the way, the poll is multiple choice.

I would love to play an instrument but I haven't any talent or ability in me whatsoever to play anything that requires reading music. :(

That is a pity. I think that you either may have not have enough time for this sort of hobby or you didn't have a good teacher, if you had one.

I play to instruments:
The classic guitar
The air guitar (that's right, it is an instrument)
First, the number "2" is spelled T-W-O.

Second; only to the very pompous, ignorant, and self deluded can the "air guitar", be classified a, "musical instrument. Music, at its most basic, involves sound production. Air guitar produces no tonal information, either consonant or dissonant, therefore it can't be a "musical instrument".

You'd have better luck floating that BS fantasy past a group of arch nerds at a Star Trek Convention, as opposed to here, where you don't even get ignition, much less liftoff with that drivel.

And don't get me started about "Rock Band". That nonsense seems to be the same player-missile graphics as, "Whack a Mole"!

I would love to play an instrument but I haven't any talent or ability in me whatsoever to play anything that requires reading music. :(
Actually, "reading music" can be faked to one degree or another.

A minimal approach is to learn the notes on the "G" Clef, (treble cleff), and chord formations on the guitar or piano. Most sheet music is notated with the prevailing chord written above the staff. (At the point where the chord would change).

Then, working with material you're familiar with, you would read the top line of notes, (the melody), play it with your right hand, and finger the chords with your left hand!. (This is with piano, obviously). With familiar songs, the intricacies of note time value don't really affect the performance. That part is supplied from memory. With the guitar, it's a bit more difficult. In one scenario, you play the chords and sing the melody. The second is a bit more intensive, and involves a whole lot of practice, mostly finger picking and chord inversions.

But yes, playing the piano while sight reading two different cleffs and note timing with unfamiliar material is indeed an onerous chore. It requires years and years of practice. (Oh, and they expect to use your feet now and again, while you're doing all that too). :confused:

PS: I would have voted, but I don't know if they've figured out whether the piano is a string or percussion instrument. Meh, who cares? I can only play dribs and drabs on it anyway.

PS: I would have voted, but I don't know if they've figured out whether the piano is a string or percussion instrument. Meh, who cares? I can only play dribs and drabs on it anyway.
I wonder too...

i have always fantasied playing saxophone...!
it sounds so enriching...,just luv the sound it makes...

may be someday....!:)

I lol'd. My younger brother had to learn to play a recorder. So annoying.

He 'had' to? Was it required in school or work? well my story is: It was a requirement in school but they let me choose what instrument to play: The Flute or recorder, I chose recorder because it was cheaper to buy. XD

whoa that's awesome! It's such a pity that guitars are so expensive in South Africa :(. I would love to own a Gibson SG or a Fender Strat.

expensive guitars

i love my gibson guitars,but they are costly even in the states.hummingbirds start at around 3,000 dollars. sg's at around 1.200 dollars. how much do they run in south africa?

The retail price of a Gibson Sg in South Africa is R16000. I saw one on sale for R11000 though. Still too expensive.

Back