What power supply for this PC?

Dribbz

Hi, first post here as I was looking around and here seemed a good place for me to get some answers :)

I'm in the process of building a pc for the purposes of gaming but need some help of what power supply I actually should get. So far this is what I plan on getting:

Case: Zalman Z11 Mid ATX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2*4GB) Dual Channel kit.

Heat Sink: Akasa AK-CC4005SP01-Venom Nano CPU Cooler

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAIII

GPU: Asus 1GB GeForce GTX560 Direct CUII

CPU: Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3550 CPU

PS: OcUK Crusade 750W <---(Un-sure)

Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-OB

Motherboard:Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77-D3H

Mainly worried about the PS but any other suggestions are welcome as long as the price of the current parts isnt changed too much, only a mid-range system as you can see and also I am based in the UK.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Get this 550W XFX PSU instead, it's excellent quality and will be fine for your build, there's no way you'll need 750W with that setup and I wouldn't trust an OCUK branded PSU anyway.

Some other suggestions for your build:
- You don't need a Z77 mobo since your CPU doesn't allow overclocking and you're not running multiple graphics cards so a cheaper H77 mobo will do the same job.
- Get this CM Hyper 212 Evo cooler, it has excellent cooling for the price. I dont' really trust anything from Akasa, they wildly inflate some of their specs (I.e. CFM and dB levels).
- How much is that GTX 560? It's an older generation card so might be overpriced, there might be better options for the price.

Get this 550W XFX PSU instead, it's excellent quality and will be fine for your build, there's no way you'll need 750W with that setup and I wouldn't trust an OCUK branded PSU anyway.

Some other suggestions for your build:
- You don't need a Z77 mobo since your CPU doesn't allow overclocking and you're not running multiple graphics cards so a cheaper H77 mobo will do the same job.
- Get this CM Hyper 212 Evo cooler, it has excellent cooling for the price. I dont' really trust anything from Akasa, they wildly inflate some of their specs (I.e. CFM and dB levels).
- How much is that GTX 560? It's an older generation card so might be overpriced, there might be better options for the price.

Awesome, thank you so much for the reply. What you've suggested looks great and very helpful giving me the direct links :D

1. I actually already have that Mobo, will it cause issues or was it just a cost factor.?(could return if needed)
  2. The GTX 560 TI is £189.48 here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-GeForc...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1354989076&sr=1-1

If you've already got that mobo then keep it. I suggested a H77 on cost grounds, Z77 has more features although you won't be utilising them.

You can do a lot better for £189, check out the GTX 660 or HD 7870 (this comes with 8 free games which seems like an amazing offer). Which one to get depends on which games you play, TS's latest GPU roundup is here. If you play Physx games then the 660 is probably the better choice but if you like the sound of free games then AMD cards will work out very cost effective. Just make sure you buy off the websites on this list, Amazon is not one of them.

If your budget can stretch a bit then consider a GTX 660Ti or HD 7950.

May I also suggest going for an I5-3570k rather than the 3550. It's not too much more expensive, and allows you to overclock, which I believe more than makes up for the £13.50 price difference. Overclocking is extremely easy on the Motherboard you have, (I own a Z77-UD3H) and yields brilliant results. Even if you are strongly against overclocking (couldn't think of a reason why!) it will do good to leave the option open in the future. Believe me, you won't regret it :)

Through many trials I've learned that having a quality psu is very important. I've burned through 2 or 3 power supplies during my early pc building years. Some taking hard drives and/or video cards with them. Its not common but you definately don't want to be on the end of that rope. Spending 10 extra bucks on a psu that you thought about passing on is worth it in the long run.

May I also suggest going for an I5-3570k rather than the 3550. It's not too much more expensive, and allows you to overclock, which I believe more than makes up for the £13.50 price difference. Overclocking is extremely easy on the Motherboard you have, (I own a Z77-UD3H) and yields brilliant results. Even if you are strongly against overclocking (couldn't think of a reason why!) it will do good to leave the option open in the future. Believe me, you won't regret it :)

A lot of truth here, you're already investing in an aftermarket cooler, take advantage of it!

Back