What PSU can I get for my computer?

qazw2xx

I just bought a new graphics card not realizing my psu was only 305w. I need a 450w but i dont want to waste money buying a psu that i cant use for my computer please help.
I have a Dell Dimension e520and the only changes i have made to it was adding 2gb of ram.

The PSU in the Dimension e520 and the other BTX Dells is slightly oversized for ATX spec so nothing will fit perfectly except another Dell PSU however the bolt pattern is the same as ATX so any ATX PSU that is not so long that it interferes with the drives will work although there may be some gaps around the sides.

What video card did you get?

For a 450w+ psu one of these should be good for that system.
Antec NEO ECO 520C = $55
FSP SAGA+ 500R = $60 - $10MIR = $50
Antec BP550 Plus = $65 - $15MIR = $50 (modular cables)

For an HD5450 you don't need a new PSU the stock one will be more than suficient. The HD5450 is an entry leval card with a very low power draw, the dimension e520 could be ordered with an nVidia geForce 7600gt from the factory which has a higher draw than the HD5450 so you will be fine.

it came with a nvidia 7300 le which has started running really slow over the time ive had it. Whenever i put the radeon in my computer gets slow and sometime blue screens.

The 7300LE draws 5 watts more than a HD5450. Chances are the PSU is not the cause of your BSOD problems. You did uninstall the old nVidia drivers and installed the correct AMD drivers for the HD5450 right?

Have you updated your OS?

Have you uninstalled all the crapware that Dell bundles with their PCs (this is one of the main causes of slowness and errors on Dells)? I usually reccomend a clean install of windows on any Dell due to these issues.

Is your registry in good order? Have you ever reinstalled your OS since the PC was new?

Even under the best circumstances that computer is never going to be fast it is simply too outdated. But it should run without BSODs and be able to handle basic tasks such as office applications, web browsing, video playing, and light photo editing. The HD5450 should help graphics slightly but it is not a gaming card, it's primary benefit is DX11 support although if you still have XP that doesn't matter much

My OS is up to date and i made sure i uninstalled the nvidia drivers and installed the amd drivers. I have reinstalled windows once and i uninstalled a lot of the unnecessary files.
When i have the new card in, the screen resolution get messed up and is a little fuzzy. The most gaming i do is playing runescape and the new graphics card makes it run much better. I was researching what could be wrong before posting on this site and most things said the card needs atleast 400w.

It is possible that you got a bad card. The 400w requirement listed on the box is very excessive and mainly the result of cheap PSUs with inflated ratings(there are allot of "400w" and "500w" PSUs out there that only output 250-300w under real world conditions and video card makers want to cover their butts so they tend to list a higher rating than would be necessary if all PSUs were rated honestly). There is also the possibility that your PSU is having problems (it is getting old after all) that are affecting your video card or possibly other parts of your system. A new PSU certainly can't hurt as long as you get a good one but it may not fix your problem.

For a replacement PSU for that system I would recommend this PSU:
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D = $40 It is more than enough for that config (I ran your config through xtreme PSU calculator and it came out to 286W at 100% load so any good 350W+ PSU should be sufficient while giving you plenty of headroom) It is also good quality (Built by Delta), and reasonably priced. The other ones I listed earlier are good too but 450W+ PSUs are somewhat excessive for that system. If you really want a 400W+ I would recommend the Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D = $45 however the 380W should be more than enough for your system.

Back