What router should I get?

By ZeroSkating
Dec 9, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Ok so Im wanting to host some xbox live lan parties and Ive been told my router isnt good enough I guess. When I have just a couple friends bring their xboxes over we have a hard time getting live to work, hard getting into games, cant connect to eachother, usually kicks one or more of us off etc etc.

I was told that xbox live takes up alot of bandwidth and my router cant handle it.

I have a Belkin Wireless G Router 2.4ghz.

What routers do you guys recommend? I was recommended a D-link DGL-4500 gaming router, but Im skeptical b/c some of the reviews made it seem like a bad choice.

Im no expert on this so if you can help me choose a router that will allow me to properly host lans (getting a switch later on) thatd be great, thanks
  2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,128

Right now im using an Linksys WRT150N v1.1 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std - build 14896 firmware. I don't have an xbox or PS3 but i do a lot of PC gaming and i have never had any problems at all. The DD-WRT firmware makes my $100 WRT150N into a $300 router. DD-WRT opens a lot of options.
  3. ZeroSkating

ZeroSkating Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 39

ok thanks ill keep that in mind, i just need to make sure it has enough bandwidth to support multiple people getting on xbox live, since xbl takes up more bandwidth than computers getting on the internet.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,455   +288

I will second the recommendation of a Linksys WRT router. I have a 320N and its fantastic, but it was expensive. A long time ago I had a WRT54g v3 (or something early) and I ran dd-wrt on it and it was fantastic. So I think if you want to save money, take a look at what dd-wrt will run on and then buy one from that list that is inexpensive. Your alternative is to buy an expensive router - I think when it comes to stressing a router you really do get what you pay for - but like said above, dd-wrt does open up a lot of high end features.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.