What router should I get?

ZeroSkating

Ok so Im wanting to host some xbox live lan parties and Ive been told my router isnt good enough I guess. When I have just a couple friends bring their xboxes over we have a hard time getting live to work, hard getting into games, cant connect to eachother, usually kicks one or more of us off etc etc.

I was told that xbox live takes up alot of bandwidth and my router cant handle it.

I have a Belkin Wireless G Router 2.4ghz.

What routers do you guys recommend? I was recommended a D-link DGL-4500 gaming router, but Im skeptical b/c some of the reviews made it seem like a bad choice.

Im no expert on this so if you can help me choose a router that will allow me to properly host lans (getting a switch later on) thatd be great, thanks

Right now im using an Linksys WRT150N v1.1 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std - build 14896 firmware. I don't have an xbox or PS3 but i do a lot of PC gaming and i have never had any problems at all. The DD-WRT firmware makes my $100 WRT150N into a $300 router. DD-WRT opens a lot of options.

ok thanks ill keep that in mind, i just need to make sure it has enough bandwidth to support multiple people getting on xbox live, since xbl takes up more bandwidth than computers getting on the internet.

I will second the recommendation of a Linksys WRT router. I have a 320N and its fantastic, but it was expensive. A long time ago I had a WRT54g v3 (or something early) and I ran dd-wrt on it and it was fantastic. So I think if you want to save money, take a look at what dd-wrt will run on and then buy one from that list that is inexpensive. Your alternative is to buy an expensive router - I think when it comes to stressing a router you really do get what you pay for - but like said above, dd-wrt does open up a lot of high end features.

Back