What should I do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello my names Rob

My grandmother has a computer problem that I cant fix. I now enough about computers to keep one running as long as possible and took a comp repair class in highschool, recently too. Im only saying this so u dont have to dumb down your answers.

The problem started a month ago when my grandmother told me her internet was not working. I checked out her old *** computer (windows Me) and found that her SLOW juno dsl was having problems connecting. I now that juno is not the best ISP to have but GRANDMA is frugal and doesn't want to spend a whole lot on something she only uses about once a day for 20 min emailing.

The First thing I could think of was that she had a loose wire but the external connect was fine. Next thing was checking if the nic needed a driver or something along those lines and it was signed in and everything.

After I tried fixing it myself I gave up and called tech suppport. The only three people I got on the line had trouble speaking english and only told me to do what i already did, check the drivers and external connection. So after I stayed on the line for an hour they told me that MY NIC is the problem and that its not there fault.

They told me I needed to call the manufacturer of the NIC and let them now my situation. So here is my question to the fine people at tech spot.

Should I A) try to find out who makes the NIC and see what they say or B) just buy a new NIC, see if it works.

Oh yeah whats the easiest way to find the manufacturer because I openec the tower to see what it said on the NIC but couldn't find a name.

Thanks

NICs are a dime a dozen. Your time might be better spent getting a $10 NIC from Wal-Mart or your closest megastore and installing it yourself. Just make sure that you uninstall the drivers for the old NIC before you install the new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back