What should I look for in a server motherboard?

steelth

I want to make a gaming server with a micro Atx motherboard , but I'm not sure what I would need the most . I mean money being tight , should I look for 1 that holds alot of ram or just settle for 1 that hold 8 g or so. Also with Processors being so high should I get a AMd quad or would something smaller work. This server will just be for me and my friends , maybe 20 ppl at the most. I talked to a guy about it before he told me I needed at least a quard core and over 8 g of ram, and 500g hdd. I guess I'm just maken sure before I spend the money.

There is a server class of motherboards but I don't think that is what you are looking for. Building a PC with server class parts can get very expensive. I see no reason why you would need a server class PC to play games, unless you wanted a motherboard with two/four CPU sockets

Questions:
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What types of games will you be playing?
  3. How many monitors and at what resolutions will you be using?

I'm assuming he's talking about setting up a gaming server. One that hosts games rather than actually running them.

I reckon with this sort of server you would be looking at something with reasonable CPU power, minimum graphics, max RAM, enough HDD.

I'd recommend the Intel: apparently they do virtualization better (might be wrong here) but not sure if that's really important. Either way, their CPUs are faster. On board graphics should be enough, and as much RAM as you can afford. They're cheap these days anyway. 100 dollars for 16 gigs or thereabouts.

As for the HDD, enough for whatever you want to run is good. With enough RAM I don't think you'd ever cache into the HDD anyway.

Yes you are correct CMH, sry I didn't explain that very well I guess .Thank you for your help

Back