What should I upgrade on my pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkdex

I mainly use it for gaming, getting a bit slow with new games, what should i upgrade?
Specs are
Asus a8v-vm se motherboard
Windows xp
1024mb ram
amd athlon 64 processor 2.4 ghz
nvidia geforce 9600 gt

would like to spend as little as possible

the obvious choices are to add at least a GB more ram, and upgrade the graphics card to something around a HD 4670. do you have a budget?

100-200 quid is about $140-$280 USD i believe. and yes your board supports DDR. can you buy online? and if so can you list the link of where you will purchase these upgrades?

Yeah its about that, i was thinking of buying from amazon.co.uk or ebuyer.com or anywhere else you could recommend?

This combo would boost your performance in gaming significantly....and i mean a bunch. your probably thinking that you would like to make use of your existing ram...and you can but matched sets are preferable. make sure you check Ram compatibility for your Motherboard, but you should not have any problems. the only other step I see that makes sense is to spend about 4-500 quid on a new machine and build your own....hope this helps :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/98690
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/178941

Is your CPU single core? If so, then you'll have to look into getting at least a dual core for good gaming performance.

Your motherboard supports only DDR memory (DDR 400 max I suppose). As red said get another GB of RAM.

Finally, you'll need a decent graphics card to be able to play the relatively newer games. However, the HD 4670 suggested by red is not any great improvement over the 9600GT.

I personally think that upgrading your current system is not a very good idea if you want to game as you'll be spending a lot in getting DDR memory and older dual core AMD processors. You are severely limited by your motherboard. Consider saving up for an entirely new rig.

EDIT: Well red, good options but what about his CPU?

@ Rit,
well first of all check the link, Its the 5750 that I recommended to him. secondly he was asking about about upgrading his current system to get better performance for gaming....not multitasking.
I also said that his only other sensible alternative was to spend 4-500 quid on a new system, as these were the only upgrades with his current system that would improve gaming performance per dollar, and he will have to spend around $150+ to find a used socket 939 AMD X2 64 CPU, and at that point it becomes cost-ineffective. furthermore the upgrades i recommended will improve gaming performance greatly( even with a single core) as games (with the few exceptions like Flight SIM) are greatly GPU dependent. I think you are looking for the ideal solution here which is nice, but not everyone has the $$$ for the best solution. Given what this person has to work with and the budget he has to spend, I know that a RAM/GPU upgrade will yield far greater gaming results than spending his entire budget on a used 939 dual core. furthermore, when and if spardex does build a new machine, the 5750 will be able to be implemented into the new machine, a used $150 .00 socket 939 64 x2 becomes an expensive,outdated, and non transferable bookend.

OK thanks for the suggestions guys :D i thought about getting a new machine, but seems a bit expensive right now.

@ red - I was referring to your earlier post when I mentioned the HD 4670. After I posted I realised that you had put in other options (that's why the EDIT). As far as the processor goes, I thought that playing games like Crysis on his current one would be very difficult. I couldn't get acceptable frames when playing Crysis using the 9800GT / 2GB RAM when I had my 2.93 GHz P4. Also, I did mention to the OP that because of his motherboard's limitation he would have to get a Socket 939 dual core that not be cost effective at all. My concern remains the CPU unless of course it's much better than the P4 I owned. :)

it is a little better with HT, but not much. and Crysis will be a struggle. it just doesn't make sense to spend 150.00 on a used 939 cpu. he should get decent playability in most games with the 5750 and the added ram at smaller res's. given the system he is probably not gaming above 1024 x 768. its about all he can do unless he wants to dump alot of money into that system. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back