What should System Restore settings be?

GoneBaja

Following a very good virus clean up, cudos to Broni, I wanted to check on the System Restore settings... Microsoft just tells me that they are done automatically every so on and so forth... however I see (in Windows 7) that in System Properties > System Protection > Configure > it is possible to click a setting "Turn Off System Protection" and if you also have the Disk Space Usage allocation slide down to nothing, it would seem likely to me that you would not have much Restore Point creating going on in the back ground.... would I be right in making that deduction??

So I think I need to choose one of the other two settings to ensure that MS's automatic process is going on... and allocate some disk space to the task..?

jp

The common setting is about 10% of the HD capacity, but I prefer to set 5-10GB.
I see no point in keeping 6 months of the stuff - - you need only one good copy and you should discover
the necessity of using it within a short period of time.

I'm on a laptop and use hibernation overnight so that I reboot about once/week which reduces the number
of images that are taken too.

But am I correct that if the Setting "Turn off System Protection" is selected, the computer would not be doing any kind of Restore Point saving?

I belabor this as MS does not mention anywhere that you have to turn it on... they make it sound like it is automatic...so I just need to make sure.

thx

jp

You are correct and furthermore, turning it off erases all existing restore points (ie creates more freespace).

Back