What size PSU would I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Predict

I am upgrading my computer but I dont no if I need to upgrade my psu also. I have 600watt psu but it dosnt seem like it would be enough power when there running at their hardest.

EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS SSC 640mb
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS SC 320mb
Athlon 64 X2 6400+
PC6400 DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory (2 x 1024)
500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB (x2)

It's not just the wattage of a supply that counts. If it has dual 12 volt rails at a decent power rating, the existing 600 watt supply should work. If not, it should be replaced. A 450 watt dual 12 volt supply could probably power your present system just fine

If you decided to get a new psu, go with a known brand as for better construction, better regulation.. and warranty.

What PSU for 9800GTX

Hallo, just need your help about PSU for my geforce98000GTX. There is describe that it needs 24A current min but my supplayer is BFG 800W but only 20A. Will it strongly affect a performance ?? Not wrealy happy to buy it new one but want my machine to perform properly. Give me some advice guys.

Rest of spects:

CPU: Athlon 6400
Matherboard: ASUS M2N32SLI
RAM: 3GB
HDD: 500GB sata

Also is it PCI 2.0 wrealy need for this card?? I have 1.1

Check your power supply sticker or the box it came in again. It should have 20A each on four +12V rails. While it isn't as simple as adding up the four rails' amps, you should have plenty of total power. Don't forget to hook up the additional power connectors on the graphics card.

Your graphics card should be backwards compatible with your PCI-E x16 slot.

Yes sticker says that there is 4 * 20A so from what you saing should be allright. Thougt it have to be somethink like 4 * 24 or somethink. Also it have 4* those 6 pin connectors for

You're ok with what you have. The 6-pin connectors are used with some graphics cards and with some motherboards

If you have any way of running power from 2 of those rails to your card (as opposed to just plugging from 1) I would do it. Like those 2 4-pin molex to the pci-e power connectors, plug in each end to a different rail.

It likely won't matter since those recommendations I believe are based on only having a single rail so they consider other components. The card would have to pull 288W by itself to use up 24A, and it doesn't.

What size PSU would I need?
Hello everyone. I am new to Techspot so excuse any improprieties on my part. I currently have a system with the following specs:- CPU Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93 GHz Processor; 2 Raptor HDD 150gb and 2 other HDD 750gb; EVGA nForce 680i SLI nVidia motherboard; EVGA GeForce 7600 GT video card; CoolIT Eliminator Thermoelectronic CPU Cooler; Crucial Ballastic 4GB PC2-8500 SDRAM 240-pin DDR2 Memory and 2 Lite-On LH-20A1S SuperAllwrite SATA DVD Burners. My case is an Ultra Grid ATX Mid-Tower Case with a Thermaltake ToughPower 750-Watt ATX Power Supply. On paper, all this seems wonderful but my systems keeps freezing, and the noise from the computer... I can hear it in the bedroom. What is wrong with this system? Do I need a bigger PSU? Or have I just mis-connected the PSU rails a la Tmagic650??

Predict said:
I am upgrading my computer but I dont no if I need to upgrade my psu also. I have 600watt psu but it dosnt seem like it would be enough power when there running at their hardest.

EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS SSC 640mb
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS SC 320mb
Athlon 64 X2 6400+
PC6400 DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory (2 x 1024)
500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB (x2)

Is this 2 GT8800s in SLI? Cause that take could take a bunch of amps at 12 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back