What the heck is wrong with my cdrw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the only thing i can get my cdrw to do is eject. i clicked properties and i get this message that says volume info for disk can not be found. this may happen if the disk is a 1394 or a usb device on a windows 2000 machine. my os is xppro?

How old is the drive? How much use has been assigned to it? Optical drives wear out quickly, particularly if a lot of copies or burns have been made.

What raybay asked. If you get an optical drive that lasts beyond 5 years you are doing good (though some seem absolutely indestructable). It sounds like what happed to me: the drive just up and died.

Its the one that came with the computer and its around 2 years old. it seems when i started getting that message was right after i installed a phone on the computer. as a matter of fact when i call up device manager the phone is listed under cdrw as a drive instead of a usb device?

Hello,

I guess you can do some of the following to fix this issue.

Perform a System Restore if you have any restore points to restore to.

Try uninstalling those drivers for cdrw and then rebooting computer and see if that helps.

Lookup the "phone" you installed and see if you can find it different drivers.

Also, you could buy a dvdrw drive, which can burn cd's and dvd's and also read them.

Good Luck :)

shansen said:
Its the one that came with the computer and its around 2 years old. it seems when i started getting that message was right after i installed a phone on the computer. as a matter of fact when i call up device manager the phone is listed under cdrw as a drive instead of a usb device?

Completely uninstall and then reinstall and update your drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back