What type of HDD do I need to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to buy an external hdd for an acer travelmate 5320 laptop as the hdd in the laptop is nackered. How do I know what type of external hdd to buy?

Cheers,

benbaun1

It sounds as though you're trying to replace an internal drive with an external drive. If that is so, it won't work. You need to replace the internal drive, which is fairly simple on most laptops.

Hi, thanks very much for the replies.

Yes hughva I was thinking of doin that. thanks for stopping me. I can't boot up this laptop so I am unable to look up the specs but I have found on the acer direct website that it is a SATA drive in that model. Obviously I know it's a 2.5'' internal drive I need.
Is there anything else I need to consider?

1. What size and spreed will the new drive be? Al larger, faster drive may improve performance.
2. How is the old drive removed and replaced? Many makers offer guides, and this is usually a matter of just a few screws and the right screwdriver, but do your homework before starting.
3. How to re-install the OS? You'll need a restore disk of some kind.
4. Once the OS is re-installed you'll need to reinstall all your programs, virus program and Windows updates.
5. When this is done, consider getting an external drive for an imaging and/or backup program.
Enjoy.

Thanks hughva, I think I have 1-4 covered and I'll probably take ur advice and get an external hdd, thanks very much for ur help.

benbaun1

You could get an SSD as they are certainly the fastest drive, but i would not recommend it unless you are running Windows 7 (no Trim support otherwise) or have a lot of money to burn. Other then that a 7200 RPM drive is probably your best bet as they do make a difference over the slower 5400 RPM options.

Here is a 250GB 7200 RPM drive for $65.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136279

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back