TechSpot

What Video Card do I need??

By Syntax_Error
Jan 16, 2005
  1. My video card blew out, and its on the computer I am using now. The color is fine sometimes, except for font (fuzzy). It will all of a sudden clear up, then turn black and white. I am new to hardware and brands, and have just started porgramming. I know how to use the machine, but I dont know what specs to give you guys so you can help me. I have a pentium(R) 4 cpu 1.50GHz, 1.50 GHz,128 MB of RAM (whatever the crap that means, lol). Do I need to give you guys anything else besides this? I have a dell, my OS is windows xp pro with service pack 2 (OEM version), and I need to be able to run unigraphics, katea (sp?), cad cam, and someother engineering programs. I have looked at other threads, but I dont understand CRAP! What card is the best for my situation? What card will also allow me to play games like half life 2 and doom 3? Now, I dont NEED to be able to play those games, but what one will allow me to without costing me an arm and a leg? I already know I need to upgraded my ram (or do I?) to 512 or so (like other comp), but I need to open up my case and take a look at my mem slots on the mb before that. If you need any other info please tell me, becuase I am a newbie. Sorry if I drag on and on.....please help!

EDIT: Also, where to buy them within the united states for cheap, thanks again!

2. Paul

Paul TS Rookie Posts: 97

3. slavster

slavster TS Rookie Posts: 17

cad cam on that comp will be very tedious. i have xp2500 overclocked wit 512 pc2700 and 128mb vram and it still runs really slugish. i know i need an upgrade myself, but i think you should consider saving some money and getting a whole new system...you can get an awesome machine for about $1000 US. i got my parts over 1 year ago and they were one of the best ones on the market and i only spend about $800 cad. think about a whole new comp...for $1000 US, you can get:
    athlon 64 2800/3000
    corsair 1gb pc3200
    WD 160gb hdd
    6600gt 256mb....and more

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.