What video card to buy for both current and future setup

My current video card in my desktop computer is apparently dying. I could be wrong, but I just haven't been able to figure out what else the problem could be. I deleted all drivers and started over. (The drivers I had previously were the most current apparently, but I reinstalled from a new download.) I also deleted all Flash and started over, and same with Java. My display crashes constantly in Firefox, and almost always when I try to play a video online. Sometimes even when I click on something, anything, in Firefox...bam! The screen goes black and the computer is still running. IE is not even usable anymore. So I reboot and start over with every crash. This has been going on for a couple months.

I am going to be upgrading almost everything soon. I like my old roomy Chieftek Dragon case with lots of fans so I may be able to keep that. Below is what I currently have.

I realize that a video card that will be great for my coming system will not function to its fullest on my current system, but if it's just an improvement for now, that's fine. I don't want to have to buy one now and one later!

Current system:

1. Motherboard - Gigabyte P4 Titan, GA-8S648FX-L
2. Graphic interface - AGP 3.0 8X/4X
2b. Current video card - VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 2600 (put in 2008)
3. Memory - 3 GB (maxed out) Crucial
4. CPU - P4
5. CPU Speed - 2.6 Ghz
6. Power Supply Make/Model - Antec Neo HE
7. Watt output/Amperage - 550w ATX12V
8. OS - XP Pro (up to date)

Future: Intel Core i7 2.66 Ghz (already have this and 4GB RAM)

What video cards do you recommend for my situation? I use this desktop computer mostly as the hub in the home network, for graphics, photography, running Adobe graphics software, web design, writing and communications, home office, and general use. (My laptop is my music recording computer.)

Thanks so much! I hope to solve this very quickly!

Current and Future!

There is no such card.

You currently have an AGP interface and I'm willing to bet your future motherboard will be PCIe.

My motherboard also has 5 PCI slots, 33MHzz & PCI 2.2 compliant. Does that help me?

Or, shall I start another thread to see what I might be able to do to prevent my video card crashes?

If you are planning on getting a Intel i7 cpu, you will have to get a video card that uses the PCIe graphic interface and DDR3 memory ram sticks. The GA-8S648FX-L motherboard was already 2 years outdated when you got it in 2008. Motherboard makers stopped using the AGP graphic interface that your Radeon HD 2600 needs back in 2007 and switched to the PCIe interface. Also the DDR ram you are using is also 2 generations outdated. The only parts that you can still use from you old computer will be the case and the power supply. You will also have to get a new hard drive and cd/dvd drive that uses SATA interface. The future is NOW!!! Take care.

Apologies in advance if I'm being blunt, but trying to make your computer 'future-proof" would be inadvisable, IMHO.
As for suggesting a card, it depends on your budget, other hardware requirements (PSU wattage, system RAM, available slots, etc.), and intended use. A graphic card is a safe investment, usually, as it can be used on any compatible motherboards in the future, unlike RAM or CPU.
So looking at your situation, I'd advise you to not waste money on buying anything now, but save up for a new build, then bother for a new card, so you can be more 'future-proof'. LOL

Forget about your current build and start over.
What i7 processor do you have? You have to make sure the motherboard and RAM you choose is compatible.

Most important thing when suggesting an upgrade is to provide us a budget!

My current video card in my desktop computer is apparently dying. I could be wrong, but I just haven't been able to figure out what else the problem could be. I deleted all drivers and started over. (The drivers I had previously were the most current apparently, but I reinstalled from a new download.) I also deleted all Flash and started over, and same with Java. My display crashes constantly in Firefox, and almost always when I try to play a video online. Sometimes even when I click on something, anything, in Firefox...bam! The screen goes black and the computer is still running. IE is not even usable anymore. So I reboot and start over with every crash. This has been going on for a couple months.

I am going to be upgrading almost everything soon. I like my old roomy Chieftek Dragon case with lots of fans so I may be able to keep that. Below is what I currently have.

I realize that a video card that will be great for my coming system will not function to its fullest on my current system, but if it's just an improvement for now, that's fine. I don't want to have to buy one now and one later!

Current system:

1. Motherboard - Gigabyte P4 Titan, GA-8S648FX-L
2. Graphic interface - AGP 3.0 8X/4X
2b. Current video card - VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 2600 (put in 2008)
3. Memory - 3 GB (maxed out) Crucial
4. CPU - P4
5. CPU Speed - 2.6 Ghz
6. Power Supply Make/Model - Antec Neo HE
7. Watt output/Amperage - 550w ATX12V
8. OS - XP Pro (up to date)

Future: Intel Core i7 2.66 Ghz (already have this and 4GB RAM)

What video cards do you recommend for my situation? I use this desktop computer mostly as the hub in the home network, for graphics, photography, running Adobe graphics software, web design, writing and communications, home office, and general use. (My laptop is my music recording computer.)

Thanks so much! I hope to solve this very quickly!

I don't think you need a new video card, if a better one could be found as AGP has been defunct for some time.As a cheap and dirty alternative, you might be able to find a Nvidia card to try as a short term replacement. I wish you luck with this as both such a card is hard to find and I don't really think this your problem.

You have already bitten the bullet and found a new CPU. You should get a compatible motherboard for it, you will need to check and see which socket as all are not the same.

Good news is you should be able to re-use your PSU if you don't get a high powered video card that uses an 8 pin plug. Check online as to which one to get in this. Newegg.com has lots to look at and always includes just this spec. You mat be able to re-use your current hard drive with installation intact if you feel like a 'real' challenge. IME a disk image is your best friend.

As to a specific video card for your new build, I would suggest you look at the Radeon 6670 and 6750 and/or Nvidia equivalents as reasonably priced choices due to your not-so-demanding non-gaming usage.

Back