intel i5 2.40ghz boosted up to something
Graphics Card Brand: Nvidia
Graphics Card Memory (MB): 1024
Graphics Card Type: GeForce N11P-GE1
640gb hard drive
4 gb ram

thanks

Well laptops suck in general.
But more because the other computer has a much stronger (yet quite weak) graphics card.

I wouldn't say laptops suck HK :( . While not ideally designed for gaming they can get the job done if its good enough. Speaking from experience it will work nicely depending on the game of course.

And Jay it depends on YOUR needs, as HK pointed out a general rule is to stick to desktops for gaming if you have a choice. You can even upgrade that machine as I agree with HK on it being a weak dedicated GPU.

And since you just say gaming let us know what games you plan on playing. As not all games are the same like on a console. Especially if you plan on playing something like Battlefield Bad Company 2, as neither machine is really gonna cut it.

Edit: I looked up that laptop GPU and found this interesting benchmark if you haven't seen it before. LINK - It looks better then I thought but still only playable on low and probably not benched during the most extreme game-play.

I wouldn't say laptops suck HK :( . While not ideally designed for gaming they can get the job done if its good enough. Speaking from experience it will work nicely depending on the game of course.

And Jay it depends on YOUR needs, as HK pointed out a general rule is to stick to desktops for gaming if you have a choice. You can even upgrade that machine as I agree with HK on it being a weak dedicated GPU.

And since you just say gaming let us know what games you plan on playing. As not all games are the same like on a console. Especially if you plan on playing something like Battlefield Bad Company 2, as neither machine is really gonna cut it.

Edit: I looked up that laptop GPU and found this interesting benchmark if you haven't seen it before. LINK - It looks better then I thought but still only playable on low and probably not benched during the most extreme game-play.

i think my PC will be able to play BFC2 if i can play crysis right

I'd say for the equivalent amount of money a desktop will always beat a laptop.

However, powering up a desktop in the car, or in public transport will be a challenge (not impossible, mind you).

As far as gaming goes, anything below the $150 line for graphics cards probably isn't a really good idea. You can get away with it I suppose, but you'd tone down detail by a fair bit. All depends on what you want to play as well, pac man doesn't require much....

"However, powering up a desktop in the car, or in public transport will be a challenge (not impossible, mind you)."

Sure it is!! Never heard of a power inverter?

now public transport could be a problem.. A huge UPS with a heavy duty backpack should do it.. I mean how hardcore are you?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back