TechSpot

What would be the best build?

By wolfram
Nov 2, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi guys,

I've been trying to choose some new PC parts, but IDK if I should spend a little more, and get an AM2 mobo & CPU, or just get another 939 and keep my existing RAM. These would be the specs:

AM2 Build

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans 512 kb L2
    1 GB (2 X 512MB) Geil Ultra Series RAM DDR2 667 (3-4-4-8)
    ABIT KN9 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra mobo

939 Build
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego overclocked to 4000+ speeds (1 MB L2 cache)
    1 GB Corsair Value Select (probably 2 gigs with this setup)
    ABIT KN8 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra mobo

What would be the best setup? Is there a huge performance difference between AM2 & 939?

2. nickslick74

nickslick74 Newcomer, in training Posts: 883

Right now there isn't much performance difference between AM2 and 939. The main diff is AM2 obviously supports DDR2. With AM2 you would have a better future upgrade path to whatever AMD comes out with. It is more expensive right now, but you may wind up saving in the future.
  3. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 2,605   +9

Thanks for the response nickslick74 :)

I think I'll stay with 939. It would be cheaper :)
    Unless 939 gets more expensive (like what happened with socket A), I'd consider getting AM2.
    I like that 1MB L2 cache on the San Diego, and I could afford 2 GB dual channel RAM, so probably my future 939 build would have more power than the AM2 one.

Thanks for the response man :)

Regards :wave:
  4. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

The only problem is the fact that when the computer components (i.e Ram, Processor) outdate themselves, there will basically be no upgrade option, costing you more in the future for a newer motherboard, processor, and memory. Good luck though.
  5. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 2,605   +9

Thanks cfitzarl :)

Someday, I'll plan to get a Core 2 Duo processor, so anyway, I'd have to change processor, and mobo too.
    But I need to work first, I'm still stuck with the stupid school :unch:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.