What'd you buy yourself today?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff
I'm stealing this "show and tell" style thread concept from a non-tech forum I read as I think it'd be a nice fit here. The idea is to post a picture of something you recently bought (ideally tech-related, but other passions are welcome) and tell everyone about it (brag :)). Considering the fact that I'm starting the thread, it would be in good taste for me to lead by example, but I haven't purchased anything recently and I'm lousy at bragging. Fortunately, you're a bright crowd and I'm sure you get the idea, so I invite you to kick things off.

On the tech front, (another) new chassis - a NZXT Switch 810 . On the home front, a whole swag of native timber furniture from our ex-boarder- although one of our cats seems to have had a prior claim to the bookcase:
BgkHK.jpg

Dusty (the furniture) but in excellent condition.

The Switch 810 has possibilities- a lot of them. The Storm Trooper is a nice chassis but has some serious limitations- not least of which is that the steel bracket that is part of the carry handle support (and pretty much unmoddable unless you butcher the top cover and get handy with panel steel and rivet gun) doesn't allow for fan+radiator support. As an air-cooled box, the Storm Trooper is absolutely great- you do get a lot for your money. The basic Switch 810 is probably less problematic out of the box taking everything into account (PRO's: internal size, filters -the ST has no side filter, layout, hidden from dust front I/O, the LED light that illuminates the rear I/O (awesome) , cable routing (grommets and 1" space behind the r.h. side), watercooling option for 360/420 rads, bundles NZXT individually braided 8-pin EPS12V extension cable, built in card reader, CONS: Construction better than virtually any other NZXT chassis -not saying much there unfortunately, questionable top cover aesthetic/use, too much plastic, fitting an SSD into the harddrive bays means shimming/raising up the SSD slightly -I use silicone vibration dampeners- or the crossbar of the drive bay* stops the SATA connectors seating well in the drive, average FN-140RB fans -supposedly 62 cfm but I doubt they could blow over a house of cards, only 6+1 hot swap HDD bays)
If you aren't into full on watercooling, or cant be bothered modding, I'd say the ST would edge it- better construction, carry handle is very handy...but adding high flow fans turns it into a vacuum cleaner - Cooler Master have taken note and made a windowed side panel with filtered mesh inserts available. If you like to personalize a chassis or thinking of watercooling I think the Switch 810 is the better prospect -it does have an abundance of options available for the price.
* See pic 6 -top crossmember closest to the fingerholds

Well some here might not think this is very "tech related", but I sure as heck do! Recently I decided to sell off my old car, without having a replacement at the time of the sell. So currently I'm between vehicles, and while I am, I decided to purchase off of Graig's List a nice little Veco electric scooter. It gets about 25 miles range per battery charge, nice headlights, turn signals, brake lights, multiple cargo areas, horn, passenger equipped, with a max speed of around 35-40 miles per hour. So this is going to be my "in between cars" little putt putt! What makes this story "techy" is the fact that I bought it "as is" and it had a messed up wiring system and the battery was on the blink. I re-wired the bike myself, thanks to my education in the world of computers, the wiring for this went fairly well. Got a ride to my local Honda motorcycle shop and bought a new battery and 12V trickle charger. I also had to re-wire the recharging port, that is just under the seat.

sam1400.jpg

Kind of interesting to take your ride completely apart, but it has to be done to get to the wires inside! Now this sucker runs great, while I was at it, I noticed a governor system on the throttle, I removed that and now am getting that 35-40 miles per hour, vs. the 25-30 miles per hour stock. I got this thing about 5-6 days ago, it's kind of nice driving by gas stations, looking at the prices and chuckling as I drive by it. This picture doesn't do the scooter justice, the picture makes the thing look smaller than it is, it is pretty big.

Zen = Gone Green! :)

Well, I think I know how I'm going to go about buying my next car! I can be a stone cold individual when I need to be, so firm, precise and cold may be the recipe. I'll have to give this some thought. The guy's go a point, why go to a dealership, when all the vehicle information can be secured on-line. I just might do it this way!

"Thanks Mathew"!

Well I sought after the replacement of my ill-fated Nokia Lumia 800, after it went for a swim courtesy of my little daughter!

Ended up grabbing the Nokia Lumia 710 after reading that it had the same hardware internals, same display resolution and overall size, and a removable battery. The change has lost me 8GB of storage (Lumia 800 has 16GB) and there is no AMOLED display, so the colours look a little "washed" in comparison, but at a third of the price of the Lumia 800 it seemed a good deal.

I ordered it Monday, and got it Tuesday, for just under £130 delivered.

100_2074.JPG
100_2075.JPG

My thoughts:

1. I love the fact Nokia included a second rear cover for the phone. I had a choice between Cyan and Black, so choose Cyan to add a splash of colour. Admitedly it won't be to everyones taste, but its a nice touch.
2. As previously mentioned, the hardware is identical (display and storage aside) to the Lumia 800 so performance is identical. I've come to love just how smooth the experience is on WP, it's certainly something Android could sorely benefit from. Overall both this and the Lumia 800 "feel" considerably smoother than even my previous SGS2.
3. The rounded corners and more traditional design make this phone waaaaaaaaay easier to hold and use than the Lumia 800. It always felt like the squared corners of the 800 were cutting into my hands in use, and I never truly got comfortable using it, despite being a lovely looking phone.
4. The battery is worse than the previous Lumia 800, but at least this one allows you to swap out a replacement battery in seconds by simply pulling the rear cover off. Bonus points for that, and it certainly makes it less of an issue for me. I still get a day's usage out of it though, even with 10 inboxes pushing emails as recieved, display on full brightness, and wireless always connected when in range by default -- I can live with that.
5. The cost -- Nokia have really trumped this smartphone. Okay the display is dull when you've used an AMOLED handset and you're used to that, but to offer the same performance as the Lumia 800 at a pricepoint one third the cost to purchase upfront is a fantastic move that's worthy of a mention, and extra bonus points.
6. The display is a total finger print magnet, like no other phone I've had in the past! Case and point, the first picture above -- and that was wiped before I unlocked it to take a picture! Thankfully it doesn't affect the viewing experience, and only shows up under strong lighting, which thankfully, isn't most of the time. Can be a bit frustrating in bright sunlight though, but I felt the Lumia 800 was similar, with the exception that the AMOLED display's brightness kind of overpowered the bright light making it visible.
7. Hopefully this phone will last a bit longer than my last two. I've managed to destroy a Samsung Galaxy S2 and a Nokia Lumia 800 due to water damage so far this year. The SGS2 was dropped in a puddle and smashed to pieces (was on the roadside) and the Lumia go "thrown" in the bath full of water by my very helpful little girl. Touch wood, this lasts a little longer. haha.

I've also finally decided on my replacement keyboard, which I'll be ordering shortly, and I might be firing off an order for my new displays in the next couple of days as well. So definitely more to follow from me. :)

[FONT=arial]These are my two buddies, Mr. Brown and Mr.Black. I just had both of these guys re-wired (hope that counts!) by a fairly reputable shop. Money well spent as they both sound like new. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Mr.Brown (left) is a Yamaha Pacifica with two stock pickups and a Seymour Duncan TB59 humbucker in the bridge position -- a solid classic piece of technology right there. [/FONT][FONT=arial]This is -- by most accounts -- an entry-level instrument. I've used this guitar in the studio with no problems at all, though. This guitar used to sound rather on the thin side. The tech guys at the shop fixed that for me. [/FONT][FONT=arial]Sounds like a real serious killer now when [/FONT][FONT=arial]plugged into my Marshall with just a hint of gain.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Mr Black (right) is a very old Fender Stratocaster (can't remember the exact year and make) I inherited from my father. The single coil pickups are stock out-of-the-box Fender, which I like. [/FONT][FONT=arial]For reasons I don't quite understand, a guitar tech friend of mine has fitted a paper thin sheet of copper right under the pickguard -- like insulation or lining. Some wear is starting to show in the finish of the bridge. I've begun to notice some problems in that area. For sentimental reasons, I've put off buying a replacement. I don't use the whammy bar.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]I started learning to play guitar when I was eight years old. I'm still learning very, very slowly -- and my neighbors will attest to that.:D [/FONT]

BROWN AND BLACK.jpg

One of these! Unfortunatly its going in my brothers pc as a gift :(
520-1s.jpg

@Dawn. I think the copper strip under the pickguard eliminates static buildup, You can get the odd static pop/crackle if you touch the pickguard while playing.

8336-8.jpg

Finally bought this today for £25. I've been wanting to complete my MGS PS3 collection for some time now. Also, I never tried the subsistence version of MGS3 so I'm kinda excited.:p

One of these! Unfortunatly its going in my brothers pc as a gift :(
520-1s.jpg

I've been having a wee look at them as well, though not quite set to order yet. I've already got a Kingston 64GB SSD, but I've pretty much used all the capacity now, and think it's time I consider stepping up to new 12xGB SATA3 version.

I doubt I'll ever "see" the difference in performance during day to day usage but the capacity increase sure would be useful. lol.

Well I'm not sure if it can be classified as recent (got it about a month ago) but I saw something about brag right? :cool:
I got a 7970 and an Eyefinity setup:
IMG_0560.JPG

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

3 Dell U2312HM's. Wanted IPS monitors for the setup because of the terrible viewing angles of TN monitors, but couldn't afford 3 "proper" 8-bit IPS displays like the U2410 so got these. They're actually very good for gaming, haven't noticed any ghosting or input lag.

You have two excellent buddies! I'm not sure that I would agree that the Pacifica is entry-level. Yamaha makes some great stuff and guitars are like people. No two alike, each with their own personality. It's the music that an instrument brings out of you that matters. If the sound's good and it plays well, it's a good one. One of my favorites is a yard sale Kramer. Could use a good set of pickups, but it plays great. I presume your marshall has tubes in it? Nothing like a tube amp! Better yet would be a tube amp with a saggy tube rectifier. Fimble is in part right about the copper under your pickguard. It does drain off static build up to ground, but it's main purpose is shielding to prevent emf interference and hum from the surrounding environment. Like when you get to close to a flouresent light or the tv when you're plugged in. A professional mod and highly reccommended for the studio. One thing to consider in saving the Strat from wear and tear is to find a cheap fender Squire that you like the sound of (unamplified) and have the action set up like Mr. Black. Practice on the Squire and save Mr. Black for performances or those magical creative moments when the music has it's own flow and you're just part of the audience. The more 'buddies' the better. Keep practicing.

[FONT=arial]This is my most recent PC-related purchase. I bought it to replace an aging 1050W Cougar GX Gold PSU, which had started to give me problems. I obviously know less than nothing about these things, but this PSU does seem to perform its function with satisfactoy realiability. I was initially going to get something smaller as my kid brother had insisted that 1200W is plain silly overkill. But then I do plan on making a few upgrades to add some serious gaming muscle to my system over the next year or so. I figured the headroom would afford me peace of mind even as it allows me a wider range of upgrade options. I guess we'll see if the extra bucks I plunked down for this bit of kit were worth it. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial][/FONT]
[FONT=arial]The earlier reviews I read about this PSU mention coil whining issues. I have had none of that so far. Most of the time, I forget it is even there.[/FONT]

photoa.jpg

[FONT=arial]@Mark321: Thank you for the advice. I'll see about getting a lesser twin for Mr. Black. I've heard nothing but good things about Fender Squiers. [/FONT]

I bought myself a 16GB Corsair USB stick, to play around with Precise Pangolin (in fact this comment was posted from FF running on PP i.e. 12.04) for a while, and see whether I can have a functional OS in my pocket which I can plug anywhere and do stuff ;)

Jeez Dawn, you're challenging my collection of books! (And apparently beating it)!
That reminds me, I have to clean those filters...

Just thought I'd bring this thread back to life. :)

Finally got myself a new lamp for the desk earlier today. I have to say I love the design of it, and for a 35W bulb (GU10 type) it's very bright and will be ideal for working on stuff close up on the desk, as well as long nights typing away.

100_2166 (Custom).JPG

Gotta say I'm mighty impressed with it. :)

Thought I'd take a snap of my new phone as well, since some people will likely be more interested in that than the new lamp in the picture above.

100_2169 (Custom).JPG

I have to say I'm very impressed with it, and clearly Samsung has worked its "voodoo" skills to the max to shoehorn this much tech in such a thin phone. It borders on insane, though I have to say the "glossy" glass like shell constantly scares me that I'll drop it.

Guess I need to try and hunt for a silicone skin for it, or at least try and find one that fits it nicely without totally wrecking the look of it. I'm definitely open to any ideas from anyone that knows of such products available for the Galaxy S3 as I've not found anything decent yet.

Guess I need to try and hunt for a silicone skin for it, or at least try and find one that fits it nicely without totally wrecking the look of it. I'm definitely open to any ideas from anyone that knows of such products available for the Galaxy S3 as I've not found anything decent yet.

I've got this case, it's clear so maintains the look of the phone and doesn't make the phone feel any bulkier. I would say the only downside is the power button becomes harder to press down and is a bit less responsive. I haven't tried any other cases though so take from that what you will.

Love the S3, certainly brings some very welcome screen real estate coming from an iPhone 4 and the UI is very responsive. Bought my wife the white one to test it, now I'm gonna get the blue one when it comes out :D

Back