What's a good budget power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan29121

I am curious to find out what the best budget power supply might be for around $50-$60. I am considering a power supply for an older computer. The parts it has are AMD 4500+, 8800gs, with only 2 80mm fans. Thanks in advance for your help.

the question you should really be asking is what is the BEST kind of power supply I should get?

Why have a nice computer only to risk destroying it with a cheap PSU?

Google "PSU Calculator" add 30% to the results, then buy a decent brand. If you aren't sure, go to tomshardware.com and look at some of their PSU reviews.

Personally, I don't care for modular PSU's. That only has 28A on the 12v rail, and it doesn't mention anything (that I can see) about whether or not it has Active PFC.

go cheap and it's bound to haunt you. If all you are concerned about is $, then any no-name brand will work. Just ensure it has adequate wattage. But remember, you get what you pay for.

That EA430 looks good for the price. I should pick up a few for replacing all those HiPro power supplies I come across. HiPro... what garbage!

Zenosincks said:
Yeah, nothing spectacular but it's not too shabby for the price :D. Active PFC, 34A on the 12v rail, 80%+.
unless it dies after a month of usage. Then, you are out of commission for 3 weeks.

Meh just because you had sour luck with an Antec PSU doesn't mean they're all going to fail. Spread your hate elsewhere.

Alright Ill take your advice into consideration. I have a question can a crappy power supply ruin computer hardware?

Yes it can. A poor PSU usually causes a current surge when it blows, which may destroy components like your motherboard and possibly anything connected to it. It can also fry your HDD and CD drives. So basically, your entire system is at risk with a rubbish PSU.
FYI, Antec's EarthWatts series is excellent as far as the proposed budget goes. Also consider brands like Fortron FSP, Sparkle, OCZ, Thermaltake and SeaSonic.

Yea a buddy of mine had a crappy power supply and it definitely fried his brand new video card. Luckily I purchased the card from newegg and they are great about returns. I learned my lesson not to buy no-name or cheap power supplies.

Nope, neither the Thermaltake PSU, nor the Apevia one are reliable ones. This is the best choice, offering a hefty 40A on the +12V rails combined. That is, if the OP is willing to take advantage of rebates. Otherwise, the EA430 is still the best alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back