TechSpot

What's a good overclocking motherboard?

By eafshar
Oct 6, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whats a good motherboard for overclocking a E8400
    i was looking at asus Asus P5Q-E x38 http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=018815&cid=MB.157

but it does not allow crossfire set up. i dont understand how it can do crossfire x8 but not x16 when it has two x16 PCI-E 2.0.

im looking to spend 200$ max on the mobo. so any suggestion?

on the side note anyone knows untill when PCI-E 2.0 is gonna be around?

2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

For overclocking in General, anything w/ an Intel P35 or X48 chipset would be ideal. You would be able to Crossfire and overclock the P5Q-E, it has two PCI-E slots... not sure what speeds they run at when linked; has the P45 chipset. On a side note, nVidia's 680/780i platform is also pretty good for overclocking if you wanted to go that route. EVGA makes some pretty decent boards in that category. For Intel P35 chipsets, Gigabyte makes some really good boards which have a lot of overclocking potential.

3. king21092

king21092 TS Rookie Posts: 156

Like my board... :p
    EXCellR8, has about hit the nail on the head, Gigabyte does make some really good potential boards, if you know what your doing.
    Just be careful, and make sure you have sufficient cooling.

4. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,631

that Asus P5Q-E x38 is a great overclocking board. u would be proud of it.

5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

The P45 boards are excellent overclockers and the northbridge runs cooler than that on P35 boards. The P5Q Pro and GA-EP45T-Extreme are excellent choices.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.