What's a good replacement for ProSavageDDR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiqong

Yes, apparently I need a new graphics card. But, I need one that isn't too expensive that will run Sims and Nancy Drew. Mine's not cutting it. And price is a big factor or my dad won't give in...

You won't have a lot of choice, because it is an AGP video card, right? But nearly all of those still for sale are decent. We need to know if your computer uses 2X, 4X, or 8X.
It depends on lot on what your motherboard is... but search www.newegg.com, www.directron.com, www.tigerdirect.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, and www.outpost.com for AGP video cards.
Look at the ATI, nVidea, Saphire, EVGA, Chaintech, BIOStar, XFX, and PNY and look for the longest warranty.
It would be helpful if you could post us the model numbers and other ID information off of your existing video card... so we know whether you are a 4X or 8X

I can give you more information when I'im on my own computer (using a friend's at the moment) but when I run a dxdiag I get this under display:
DISPLAY
Device-
Name: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
Manufacturer: S3 Graphics, Inc.
Chip Type: S3 P3M266
DAC Type: S3 SDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 32.0 MB
Current Display Mode: 1024x768 (32 bit) (758Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Driver-
Main Driver: S3gnb.dll
Version: 6.13.0010.1048
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Mini VDD: S3gnbm.sys
VDD: n/a
DDI Version: 7

And I don't know how to find out what kind of motherboard I have. At least I don't think I do.

Some of the S3 Graphics ProSavage are PCI cards, some are AGP.

Can you tell us if the first slotl, closest to the cpu, is brown and set back closer to the center of the board than the other slots? That should be where your video card is plugged in now... (unless you have on-board video).
Can you give us the numbers off the center area of the board, or the number off the largest chip?
Or better yet, download and run the Belarc Advisor (www.belarc.com) When you install and run it, it will inventory your machine and give you an opportunity to make a print out of all the contents... It is free, fast, and does not take many resources.

It does appear you can use an 8X card... we could tell for sure if you posted all the info off the old AGP card.
The S3 was actually a decent card when new. Give us the info off that card.

Well, I did the Belarc thing and here's what it said:
DISPLAY:
S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR [Display adapter]
Sceptre X7G Agama [Monitor] (17.1"vis, January 2003)
MULTIMEDIA:
Avance AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Standard Game Port
PROCESSOR:
2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
MAIN CIRCUIT BOARD:
Board: ECS P4VMM2 1.0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 04/02/01
If you need anything else, I saved it (no ink for printer...argh!) so just ask!
I really appreciate your guys's help!

you have an agp 4x slot. This is ok for what you are looking for. I reckon the 7600gs is a good bet. If you can stretch to $70 that is. See this page for help.

Hope this helps!
George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back