What's next for the iPhone? Larger screens, budget models discussed

Shawn Knight

Staff member

reuters apple iphone budget model

Following the unveiling of iOS 7 at Apple's WWDC earlier this week, the focus now turns to hardware - as in, what’s next for the iPhone? Well if you believe the latest scuttlebutt on the block, Cupertino is exploring the possibility of launching iPhones with larger screens over the course of the next year. The key word here, of course, is “possibility.” Oh, and that rumor of a cheaper plastic iPhone is still hanging around, too.

Critics have bashed the iPhone for some time now for hanging on to the idea of a smaller screen while the competition is touting larger displays. To that end, sources in the supply chain recently told Reuters they have been approached with plans to build a 4.7-inch and a 5.7-inch iPhone although nothing is set in stone as of yet.

As one source put it, Apple changes product specifications almost up to the last moment so you are not really sure whether what you are seeing is a final prototype.

I have little doubt that Apple is exploring different screen sizes for the next (or the next) iPhone but that doesn’t mean it’ll make it to market, or at least not anytime soon. Just look at the rumored Apple television set – a device that has been “in the pipeline” to the best of our knowledge for at least four years now. It’s still not out. 

Unlike Samsung that is content to flood the market with a bevy of devices and play the “see what sticks” game, Apple is different. They will invest years into a single product until they get it exactly how they want it.

And to touch on rumors of a cheaper iPhone – does that really even make sense? Apple already has cheaper iPhones – the iPhone 4 for $0 and the iPhone 4S for $99 (both on contract). Why cannibalize this strategy with a cheaper “new” device when they get purged and refreshed with every flagship release anyway?

Permalink to story.

Cheaper price for the standard edition. Oh wait, this is apple we're talking about -_-

Why cannibalize this strategy with a cheaper ?new? device when they get purged and refreshed with every flagship release anyway?
Good question. Normally I'd say so they can include the newest things in each model, like newer camera/IR/NFC/Waterproofing/wireless charging etc, but Apple doesn't put multiple features in like Android phones, so who knows.

The screen size debate always surprises me. There's a sports guy I listen to on the radio in the morning who's a huge Apple fan who actually sold his iPhone 5 because he didn't like the bigger screen. Apple may decide in the future that in order to cater to more people they'll have to come out with a few different models. We'll have to see how the S4 mini and HTC One Mini sell. We've already seen the iPad mini do well.

None of the Above! But it will cost the same as it always has, TOO MUCH. This I like "Unlike Samsung that is content to flood the market with a bevy of devices and play the ?see what sticks? game, Apple is different. They will invest years into a single product until they get it exactly how they want it." Key word is at the end there, the way "they" like it, pretty much why I never gave two shits about Apple. Because they truly don't give any shits about they're consumer as long as they sell they're crap, they are happy. And instead of flooding the market with a variety of products that consumers can choose from, choice is beautiful thing, they make one device which everyone wants??? I guess I can never work in marketing cause I don't get it.

I'm going from my Note 1 with a 5.3 inch screen to the Note 3 this Fall with a possible 6 inch screen. Hopefully Samsung will come out with their foldable/rollable screens they showed a few months ago soon. Going past 6 inches imo is too big, I'm a big guy above average hands, some people see my Note 1 and still freak out even though its been out for 15 months now.

Unlike Samsung that is content to flood the market with a bevy of devices and play the ?see what sticks? game, Apple is different. They will invest years into a single product until they get it exactly how they want it.

That's the beauty of it. Samsung designs new quality phones annually, but they don't limit them to one niche. They go nuts with it. It's more complex to do, but the end result is a lot of great choices for every consumer. It definitely beats releasing a slightly modified version of your last phone every year.

Luckily, Apple is seeing this and is starting to follow Samsung's lead. Apple has fallen a bit behind in the past few years, but maybe if they swallow their pride and take a few hints from the competition, they can get their edge back again.

Apple does fine with the way they have been handling their business. I recently purchased an IPOD 5th Generation 32GB. I love that device. I like the design and I love the music playback quality. You cannot go wrong. As far as screen sizes go, I put it this way. Apple's retina display is over 2 times the resolution of any other screen on the market in it's class. So I did a test. I took my friend's Samsung G4 and held the phone 1 meter from my face to use for 30 minutes surfing the net. Then I did the same thing to my IPOD Touch. The result I had less eye strain with the Apple product then I did with the Samsung product. Why. the screen quality and resolution. So does Apple need a bigger screen, not really. It will only eat more battery power.

iNumber buttons, iDial button, iMenu button, iOff button, iTelescopic iAntenne (iMotorized?)

Back