TechSpot

What's taking up all the space?

By vhawk
Dec 2, 2009
  1. I have a generic PC 80gig HD windows XP HOME

and I have a 1terrabyte usb hard drive

i have taken all my music, pictures and documents off the regular hard drive and put them on the terrabyte thingy

however I still only have2.6 gig free on the 80gig hd

what could be using up all that space?- how could I find out?

I'm a complete ***** when it comes to computer, so if anyone can help me, assume I am brain dead and can only understand baby talk of the simplest kind

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Could be any number of things. Here is a good program you should play with while waiting for someone to help you troubleshoot: http://windirstat.info/

3. vhawk

vhawk TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 177

It really is very good of you to take the time and trouble to try to help me and I am very grateful
    I'll see if I can try and figure that programme out, but I'm not optimistic, given my ignorance of these things
    many thanks

pete

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Maybe you have a lot of things in My Documents. To properly move that you need to right click on it and go to properties and then somewhere in there (I don't have a Windows machine in front of me right now) there is an option to "move" it.

You may also have a large System Restore thing, right click on My Computer and then also in there somewhere is a place you can adjust the maximum size for system restore.

5. vhawk

ah i think you may be right there I' ll check and see if I can find it, thank you

6. vhawk

I found the system restore settings

what a pity i can't tell it to put the restore points on the terrabyte drive which has masses of room

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.