What's the best CPU for my system?

vale46

Hi all, and thank you for taking the time to have a look at my thread.

I have 2 Pack-Bell Ixtreme desktop pc's, one is a x6618 and the other an x2613

I would like to max out my systems with the best availible CPU's these pc's can handle. I dont want to get into buying a load of bits to upgrade, maybe a better heat sync or fan but just the option to put a better chip in with what i got so to speak.

I will endevour to give anyone who can help any extra info that is required, i cant seem to find the stats on the net to supply here.

Thanks again for any input.

Regards,

Vale.

Download this version of SIW ; "SIW Without Installer (English-Only)" from this page; http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html to your desktop. Double click it to run. It will tell everything youneed or don't need to know about you computer.

Just as a knee jerk reaction to this post, it sounds like we're going be dealing with "legacy" equipment here, and I doubt that there's going to be much to be done with this computer. But hey, I'm willing to learn.

Hi, thanks for your help, i also contacted Pack-Bell assuming i wouldnt get any help really but some kid called Matt is being really help full, i sent him some extra info from that link you kindly posted and he will get back to me with the best CPU's i can just swap over :)
I will post later when i have more answers.
Thanks again Captain :)

Ok, i emailed Pack-Bell and i actually got some info from them :p the x2613 unit is pretty much maxed out but i seem to have some potential with the x6618 unit. Firstly i can put a Q9650 3ghz CPU in and i am awaiting confirmation i can also use the QX version, so fingers crossed i can, because i read somewhere on this forum that the QX can run extremely stable at 4ghz air cooled ! yey lol, also the motherboard in the x6618 will take 8gig of DDR2 dual channel so this is looing good. If i can indeed use the QX cpu does any one have any suggestions for a good heat sync and fan upgrade and while im asking, is there a better RAM make i can use or is ram just ram really, Mr Memory has the ram for my pc but doesnt really say what make it is, does it matter ?
Thanks for any suggestions offered.

OK, you do understand that in order for 8GB of RAM to be usable, you'd need to have a 64 bit OS to take advantage of it.

With that said, 64 bit XP sucks, big time. So, Windows 7 would be the way to go. However, your computer my not have 64 bit drivers available for Win 7, at all. At that point, you're pretty much dead in the water for 8GB of RAM, or Win 7.

Paying 1000 dollars for a QX9650 is absurd.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (as stated in my system spec) and its the best OS i have ever used, and i can get a QX9650 for £200 delivered, brand new ! my problem seems to be more about my MB validating this QX CPU and then if it does. how do i unlock the bios to allow me to OC it ? i think maybe just a ram upgrade is all i can do but fingers crossed Pack-bell can give me some direction.

I could be wrong, but I'd imagine your in the same situation as me in regards to hardware overclocking with a OEM motherboard.

I don't think (and for me) it can't be done. I ended up changing to a Gigabyte motherboard and its now fine overclocked. Software overclocking maybe an option, but I dualboot Windows and Linux, and wanted my overclock to work systemwide so hardware overclocking was my only option.

On another note, I wouldn't be spending £200 or anywhere near that amount for that matter, on a socket 775 CPU. At that price range you should seriously be considering a new motherboard and something like a i5 core 750/760, which even with the purchase of a new motherboard would only cost you a little bit more.

DDR3 RAM will cost you again, but it'll definitely support 64bit drivers going the new motherboard/cpu route, and you wouldn't really be wanting to spend money on 8GB of DDR2 RAM when your going to struggle to even use it on a new motherboard later on.

Your RAM will likely be DDR2, 800MHz, PC-3200 RAM.

Thanks Leeky, i have ended up selling my 2 iXtremes and venturing down the self build route with some guidence from the silth lord and captaincranky, thanks for the input though matey ;)

Back