TechSpot

Whats the best graphics card?

By gamingguy27
May 18, 2005
  1. I know alot about graphics cards, but i want an amazing one so i dont have to upgrade again in a few years... but, i have an AGP8X motherboard, i can spend up to £400 ish on a new graphics card. Ideally i would like to spend around £300 but if somthing is really worth paying for i might get it.

The models i have been looking at are:
    *Ati X800 XT PE
    *Ati X850 XT PE
    *nVidia 6800 Gainward Ultra

Thanks for the help.

Alex.

2. isatippy

isatippy TS Rookie Posts: 497

Nvidia all the way.

3. Finchy

Finchy TS Rookie Posts: 353

Objection ATI ATI ATI, usually smaller, lower power requirments, and most don't need Nvidias massive coolers, anyone remember the Geforce FX 5800, like an elephant in a washing machine, noise and spacewise.

4. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

I like the X800s also. They are coming down in price too. Get the strait ATI version if you can.

5. Sab3r

Sab3r TS Rookie Posts: 60

I would usually say nvidia but since I now own an X800 Pro I'd say ATI :).

6. shadow_29

shadow_29 TS Rookie Posts: 211

woo...you got a nice budget 400pounds,thats like 700-800$.I would suggest you get a midrange card like the geforce 6600 gt for about 200$ for now and save the rest for a new card,some rumors and details are going about for the new geforce 7 series and the next gen ati gpu because of e3 and there involvement with the consoles(ps3 and xbox360 respectively),also looking at the demanding games thats are gonna be out in a years time frame(ut3.0,f.e.a.r,etc.,etc.)you're gonna be needing more horsepower than what these puppies are providing today.the alpha build of ut3.0 required 2 geforce 6800's on an sli interface a couple of months back,so you do the math(provided it was a very early build).save your 300 pounds for a geforce 7 series and a new dual core cpu upgrade in 6 months or less,you'll be much satisfied.

7. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 966

Videeeeooo

All I can say is BFG's no quest asked, life warranty
    saved my video invest.... :bounce:

8. BringinHeat

BringinHeat TS Rookie Posts: 139

Agreed with Shadow_29

9. compguy

compguy TS Rookie Posts: 162

x850 xt

Gamin GET THE X850 XT i have it and it kicks a** the quality is amazing and it runs extremely smooth......:) good luck

sebastian

10. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

11. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 966

BFG 6800 gt oc

With costs rising, I have to agree!
    I just got my replacement from BFG.
    It runs UT 2004 on highest settings like pure melted butter!

In my humble[not] :haha: opinion. :angel:
    G'Luck
    I hope you get what you want!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.