What's the best Windows for computer gaming?

MrBlkfx1

I'm in the process of building a new gaming rig. I was wondering what version of windows i would benefit most from for gaming.

I have access to Windows XP,Vista And 7

Windows 7 will utilize your new hardware to its fullest potential. Also, old games can simply be run in compatibility mode to synthesize an older version of Windows. Some newer games will not even run in XP, such as Halo 2. (There are a few tricks, but they rarely work well.) Vista is essentially a buggy beta version of Windows 7 which has been bandaged up to run smoothly.

Some will find my broad statements inaccurate, but that pretty much sums it up. :p

Win7 64
this will allow you to have 4gb+ RAM which means that you can dedicate 2GB specifically to gaming and another 2 to the OS without having to sweat on the system resources.

Win7 will also be the most future proof at this point, considering Microsoft have announced they will no longer be selling XP, which means that support for it will drop off in two to three years time (think win2k).

Plus, Win7 is the best OS MS have ever point out, point blank.

Alright, So it seem windows 7 Hmmm
@Hellokitty , Is there any reason to why you say no to Windows 7 for gaming?

Btw- Thanks for all the responses everyone, all the feedback is appreciated

I think Hellokitty is saying that any OS would be an unwise choice for gaming except Windows 7 64-bit.

Just throwing out a suggestion if you have some older games that simply do not work with Win-7 you can always dual-boot XP. But as everyone else said it makes no sense to not use 7 for a current gaming machine considering all the benefits.

Some newer games will not even run in XP, such as Halo 2. (There are a few tricks, but they rarely work well.)
Mine actually worked without too much trouble.
Woops, I meant my cat got it working without too much trouble.

Mine actually worked without too much trouble.
Woops, I meant my cat got it working without too much trouble.

haha Very nice. I haven't tried running it on XP for 2 years now. xD

Definitely Windows 7, 64 bit as recommended by several members above. Which version you decide on is irrelivent, they'll all work well. You'll need 64bit though if you plan on running 4GB of RAM or more though.

7 will make it prettier, especially if its 64 bit, but xp will give you better performance, it really depends on what your buying, if your buying a low end budget machine I would actually go with xp to boost your performance. Ram min requirements for games double on win7 compared to xp. If you have a nice rig incoming and you play games that take advantage of directx10 and 64 bit windows def go for windows 7. This is simply because windows xp uses less ram and cpu power to operate, windows 7 takes up around 4 times more resources then windows xp(guestimation).

Back