TechSpot

What's the difference between...

By StriderHiryu
Dec 17, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whats the difference between: System Memory Module and a Desktop Memory Module

I was shopping online for RAM sticks and I saw a Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) System Memory - Retail for $27.49 and Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Desktop Memory - Retail for $21.49. So yeah, whats the difference between System Memory and Desktop memory, or are they the same thing, and if they are, why is the other one 6 dollars more?
  2. CCT

CCT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,556

The question really is;

'What's the difference between Kingston KVR333X64C25/1G and KVR333/1GR Ram modules?'

I dunno! BUT, if you do a part number search at the Kingston site ( http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partnum.asp?root=us&LinkBack= ) you will get a hit for the KVR333X64C25/1G BUT nothing, not even oudated Ram indication, for the KVR333/1GR.

What does that mean? It appears that the latter Ram was made specifically for sale through 'white market' and OEM computer makers.

I would want to be VERY sure that Kingston will honour the warranty.
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.