What's the magsafe board for?

rodion15

I've been doing some tests with a multimeter to try to fathom out how magsafe and magsafe 2 board works.
I've checked that it simply passes the voltage to the logic board, I mean, there's continuity (0 ohms) between the voltage pins in the input connector and the corresponding pins in the logic board (where the magsafe board connector plugs into the logic board).
There isn't continuity between the central signal pin and it's corresponding pin in the logic board (where the magsafe board connector plugs into the logic board): I measured a resistance that varies between magsafe board models: between 20ohm or seveal kohm, or even a varying resistance on another model, perhaps due to a capacitor). In one of the magsafe boards, the signal pin goes to a capacitor and out of the capacitor to the signal pin in the logic board connector.
My tests were inconclusive: is the magsafe board there to protect the logic board against an overvoltage? If so: how does this protection work?
I read the article I've been doing some tests with a multimeter to try to fathom out how magsafe and magsafe 2 board works.
I've checked that it simply passes the voltage to the logic board, I mean, there's continuity (0 ohms) between the voltage pins in the input connector and the corresponding pins in the logic board (where the magsafe board connector plugs into the logic board).
There isn't continuity between the central signal pin and it's corresponding pin in the logic board (where the magsafe board connector plugs into the logic board): I measured a resistance that varies between magsafe board models: between 20ohm or seveal kohm, or even a varying resistance on another model, perhaps due to a capacitor). In one of the magsafe boards, the signal pin goes to a capacitor and out of the capacitor to the signal pin in the logic board connector.
My tests were inconclusive: is the magsafe board there to protect the logic board against an overvoltage? If so: how does this protection work?
What other protections does a macbook have against overvoltage, short circuits etc?

I read the article "Teardown and exploration of Apple's Magsafe connector" but it doesn't explain the magsafe board at all.
hW2yv9a.jpg

Back