wheel mouse/sound problems

By alin
Sep 20, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I get clicking and static interference when scrolling using my logitech wheel mouse and playing music at the same time. I have a SB Live 1024 soundcard with the latest drivers. OS = XP. Can anybody help?
    thanks
    alin
  2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Do you have Logitech Mouseware installed? If you do, try uninstalling it. I remember having similar problems aeons ago with my Mouseman+ and SB Live!.
  3. alin

alin Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks for your reply.
    yeah, I've already tried that but it doesn't make any difference whether mouseware is installed or not. I still get horrible interference on sound as pages load and as I scroll up and down the page. it makes reading forums like this a bit of a nightmare. thanks anyway
    ps i notice that people like to list their hardware at the end of each post. i don't know whether this is showing off or is to help others with their diagnosis but anyway this is what SiSoft Sandra says I have installed:

AMD Athlon(tm) processor
    Speed : 1.33MHz
    System BIOS : Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG
    Mainboard : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6378(VT8361)
    System Chipset : VIA Technologies Inc VT8361 Apollo KLE133 Installed Memory : 248MB SDRAM

Monitor: hp pavilion f50s
    Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/ProMedia

Disk Drive : QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS40.0
    CD-ROM/DVD : MITSUMI CR-4804TE
    CD-ROM/DVD : PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-115

Hard Disk (C:) : 37.3GB (NTFS)

Mouse : Logitech USB First/Pilot Mouse+

MultiMedia Device(s)
    Device : Creative SB Live! Value

Operating System(s)
    Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Ver 5.01.2600 Service Pack 1

Adapter : 100/10M Ethernet PCI Adapter
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Can you try default XP drivers for your soundcard (if it has any)?
  5. alin

sorry, I'm a newbie. I have un-installed the windows drivers which I downloaded as part of SBLIVEDRVPacK which the Creative site recommends for XP. Is this what you mean?
    If so then i still have the problem.
    thanks
  6. Mictlantecuhtli

Could you check with, say, SiSoft Sandra, if there are any IRQs (Interrupt ReQuests) shared? Those usually cause weird problems and/or decreased performance (your mileage may vary :)).
  7. alin

all these use IRQ3!! could this be the problem?

IRQ 3 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    IRQ 3 Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/ProMedia
    IRQ 3 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    IRQ 3 VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)
    IRQ 3 Creative EMU10K1 Audio Processor (WDM)
    IRQ 3 100/10M Ethernet PCI Adapter
    IRQ 3 MSP3880-W 56K PCI Modem
  8. alin

all these use IRQ3!! could this be the problem?

IRQ 3 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    IRQ 3 Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/ProMedia
    IRQ 3 Creative EMU10K1 Audio Processor (WDM)
    IRQ 3 100/10M Ethernet PCI Adapter
    IRQ 3 MSP3880-W 56K PCI Modem
  9. Tweakster

Tweakster Newcomer, in training Posts: 224

Do u have onboard sound e.g
  10. alin

I've disabled the on-board sound via device manager. still get the noise.
    thanks anyway
  11. JAV

JAV Newcomer, in training Posts: 264

12. alin

thanks
    do i have to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS too? Or is it enought to do it through device manager?.
  13. Tweakster

Tweakster Newcomer, in training Posts: 224

Yes u do have to Disable it in BIOS aswell.
  14. alin

just did it. still got the problem!
  15. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

The USB controller and the sound card share the IRQ, you have an US mouse... Trouble for sure.

In BIOS, you can try toggling "PnP OS Installed" option, if that doesn't help then giving some other IRQ to the sound card by force.

Since so many devices are sharing IRQ's, you may consder disabling some things in BIOS you don't use like LPT and COM ports, also try not giving an IRQ to VGA.
  16. simultaneous

simultaneous Newcomer, in training

Same problem here

Hey guys,

I have the exact same problem with my motherboard (MS-6378). I have the on-board sound card disabled and am using a SB PCI128.

From what I understand this is not a sound or mouse problem, but a video issue. When I turn down the resolution and colour mode settings in windows display properties the clicking and skipping is not as severe.

Obviously this is not an acceptable fix.

I have updated the BIOS, installed the most up to date video drivers I can find, turned off smooth scrolling in windows explorer (which I understand is a huge resource hog).

If anyone can shed some light on what the problem is here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -R
  17. galo22

galo22 Newcomer, in training

i have the same problem with the smae motherboard and video driver, it has gooten a lot worse since i changed my soundcard to a firewire external unit for some reason, i am going to try and switch out the video card tonight

this has happened me thru 3 differenent soundcards, ram upgrades and downgrades, fully tweeked xp environment and a couple of different rebuilds, it has to be the video card

if anyone has any other ideas
  18. andreadst

andreadst Newcomer, in training

aux channel volume

hello, juste in case someone still needs a solution, I had the same problem and goit it to disappear by turning down the "AUX" channel volume. If the Aux pannel isn't in the volume panel, go in the "file" menu and select "advanced control", it should be there....
  19. jungleplay

jungleplay Newcomer, in training

Cant spot the "AUX"

I have been facing the same "scratchy sound" problem that's been discussed here...what i dont folow is how to spot the "AUX" Channel ...where to find the "file"..plz help
  20. narcissus

narcissus Newcomer, in training

I have te very same problem with my sound, but i have been reading in a specialized PC magazine, that it has nothing to do with the mouse, it seems to be an issue with de drivers of the Micro Star International (MSI) motherboard on that particular model : ms-6378 (vt8361)

so i am going to download some new drivers (i guess, video drivers) and see what happens
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.