When I connect Wired ethernet device I lose wireless internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.
My method of communicating with the internet is via a wireless connection to a wireless router, etc.

When I connect a debug tool via the wired ethernet connection I lose the my internet connection.

I then have to diagnose the connection where a dialog box pops up to show which connection type, wired, or wireless. I have to select wireless and go from there.

Is there a way to override windows XP to only search for an internet connection via wireless? It is quite a nuiasance to have to go through the reconnect process once I plug the debug tool in...

No. The reverse would be true, and depending on the quality of your equipment and connections you could, but the normal case is what you are experiencing. Anyway to go wired first, then wireless?

No. The reverse would be true, and depending on the quality of your equipment and connections you could, but the normal case is what you are experiencing. Anyway to go wired first, then wireless?

Wrong

My method of communicating with the internet is via a wireless connection to a wireless router, etc.

When I connect a debug tool via the wired ethernet connection I lose the my internet connection.

I then have to diagnose the connection where a dialog box pops up to show which connection type, wired, or wireless. I have to select wireless and go from there.

Is there a way to override windows XP to only search for an internet connection via wireless? It is quite a nuiasance to have to go through the reconnect process once I plug the debug tool in...

The easiest way to accomplish that is to have your LAN connection be configured statically, as opposed to using DHCP, and have no gateway assigned to it. Without a default route assigned that interface, Windows will always route out a connection with a gateway assigned, which your wireless connection will have.

If your "debug tool" is a networked device that by default is on your local network, you can just assign your computers LAN interface an address outside the DHCP range of your router.

Beyond that, you can use programs such as NetProfiles in Windows to manage this. Apps like that will let you designate a preferred connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back