TechSpot

When To Buy A Core 2 Duo?

By mstpaintball
Aug 19, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When would be the right time to buy a Core 2 Duo? Should I go ahead and order one now, and wait until my order can be filled (probably 2 or 3 weeks). Or wait until they are staying in stock (when could this happen)?

Looking to purchase either a
    E6400 and Abit AB9 Pro Motherboard - about $436
    or
    E6600 and Abit AB9 Pro Motherboard - about $571

Right now I'm leaning towards the E6400, a $135 is a good bit to save. With Quad Core processors in the somewhat near future, I can always upgrade to a better Core 2 Duo when they get cheaper if the Quad Cores are out of my price range.
    Besides, I want to go SLI anyway, and there aren't many, if any Core 2 Duo Motherboards that I know of that suppport SLI currently.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802&p=1
    I think this shows the E6400 performance to be around the FX-62. Thats probably at least a $500 savings (after Motherboards) on the E6400 for a similar performance to the FX-62.

E6400 and a BFG 7950 GX2 1GB sounds pretty good.

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I think the whole idea of the Geforce 7950 is that you don't need a SLI motherboard to make it work. You could even use it on an ATI based motherboard.

3. mstpaintball

mstpaintball TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 88

Ah, forgot to mention, that I want to go Quad SLI, but not at the moment. I just want to get a good system up and running soon.

Should I pay the $8.00 extra and have them apply Thermal Grease?
    E6400 and Abit AB9 Pro Motherboard probably.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.