Where are they now?

circusboy01

I have a couple music rants, and I figure this is as good a place to share them as any.
A few years back, either on MTV, or VH-1 there was a program called "Where Are They Now"
One episode was about Cindy Lauper. They showed a clip of her singing " I'm Gonna B\e Strong"
Made popular years earlier by Gene Pitney. who also wrote the song. The ***** host comment about the clip was, something like," Boy I bet that clip embarrasses her" The host didn't have a clue, what he was talking about. The fact is Cindy has perfect pitch, and can sing in 5 octives. Her voice is so powerful, that she overtaxed it, and had to have an operation. So she, did not do a bad job on the song. One top of that Gene Pitney was one of the most prolific singer, song writers around. He started in the 60 with songs like Half Heaven Half Heartache, Mecca, , The man who shot Liberty Valance, Town without pitty ( from the movie of the same name, and I'm Gonna Be Strong. To name a few.. He also wrote Hello Mary Lu (spelling?) fro Ricky Nelson.
I just think he was one of the best singer song writers we have known, and Cindy did a great job singing his song. I just felt he was very disrespectful to both Cindy, and Gene.
Years too late But at least I got it out of my system.;)

Okay on to Rant #2 I recently was on youtube, and r4ediscovered a singer I hadn't heard in a long time. So I looked him up online. I believe his most popular songs were "I've got this drinking thing"
" Shes acting Single I'm drinking double"' and Whiskey Trip.
The critics said, " He sounded too rock and roll to be country, and too country to be rock and roll.
If you have his music please listen to it. If not please listen to it on youtube.Do you hear any rock and roll? I hear nothing but Pure country.
Next week my rant about tee shirts not having pockets. Just kidding:D

I'm not a big fan of pop music, but I did hear a lot of Cindy Lauper when I was a kid and I always thought she had a powerful voice. I liked that she used that voice like an instrument. I thought she sang way better than most of the other singers of her generation. That lady can sing -- and sing very well.

Gene Pitney, on the other hand, was -- and still is -- among the best songwriters in all of rock n' roll. He was also a fabulous musician. He sat in for sessions with the Rolling Stones in the early days -- piano, I think.

I'm a big Stones fan and one of my favorite Stones singles is something called "Not Fade Away", written by Buddy Holly, if I remember correctly. The Stones' version of it had a 19 -year-old Keith Richard playing one terrific rythmn guitar riff -- very reminiscent of the great Bo Didley's hard thumping rythmn guitar playing. Gene Pitney played maracas on that song. Now that may not sound like a big deal, but if you listen carefully, you will hear that Pitney is bouncing perfectly off Keith's playing, giving the song a primitive -- almost savage edge. Only a musician's musician does that sort of thing. Song hit the UK Top 10 in 1964.

In my opinion, a lot of those MTV jocks don't know jack*@<! about music at all. So it doesn't surprise me when they blurt out foolish remarks here and there. To a lot of them -- and I don't mean all -- music is like fashion. It comes and goes and you listen to the stuff everybody else listens to. (That's my personal opinion and I am truly sorry if anyone out there takes offense.)

I remember one MTV jock who sat down to interview the Foo Fighters (do like some of their songs, but can't say I'm a real fan). During the course of the interview, the guys in the band described how The Beatles were among their main influences. The MTV jock says, "I don't know The Beatles and I can't say I'm familiar with their music." The Foo Fighters were somewhat taken aback. They mocked and gently insulted the guy, shook their heads in disbelief, and then just looked at each other and laughed.

Sorry for the long post. Your rant got me all worked up on your side. :)

Keep on ranting!

I'm not a big fan of pop music, but I did hear a lot of Cindy Lauper when I was a kid and I always thought she had a powerful voice. I liked that she used that voice like an instrument. I thought she sang way better than most of the other singers of her generation. That lady can sing -- and sing very well.

Gene Pitney, on the other hand, was -- and still is -- among the best songwriters in all of rock n' roll. He was also a fabulous musician. He sat in for sessions with the Rolling Stones in the early days -- piano, I think.

Thanks for knowing good music. Yes Gene Pitney was great. Did you know, he even went out of his comfort zone, and did some songs with George Jones?.(a country singer) Did you also know he wrote Hello Marylu for Ricky Nelson?
I just turned 69 so you would think that stupid things that VJs say would not bother me anymore.. Oh well. I also look at your avitar and wish I was a lot younger.Since you are a Cindy Lauper, and Gene Pitney fan, there are 2 or 3 versions of her singing I'm Gonna Be Strong on YouTube..

I too am a big Stones fan. They did an Album, quite a few years back called Flowers.Don't think it was one of their more popular albums, but I really loved it. One of the greatest rock & roll songs ever "Gimme Shelter

I'm a big Stones fan and one of my favorite Stones singles is something called "Not Fade Away", written by Buddy Holly, if I remember correctly. The Stones' version of it had a 19 -year-old Keith Richard playing one terrific rythmn guitar riff -- very reminiscent of the great Bo Didley's hard thumping rythmn guitar playing. Gene Pitney played maracas on that song. Now that may not sound like a big deal, but if you listen carefully, you will hear that Pitney is bouncing perfectly off Keith's playing, giving the song a primitive -- almost savage edge. Only a musician's musician does that sort of thing. Song hit the UK Top 10 in 1964.

In my opinion, a lot of those MTV jocks don't know jack*@<! about music at all. So it doesn't surprise me when they blurt out foolish remarks here and there. To a lot of them -- and I don't mean all -- music is like fashion. It comes and goes and you listen to the stuff everybody else listens to. (That's my personal opinion and I am truly sorry if anyone out there takes offense.) Oops I started this reply n the wrong place circusboy

I remember one MTV jock who sat down to interview the Foo Fighters (do like some of their songs, but can't say I'm a real fan). During the course of the interview, the guys in the band described how The Beatles were among their main influences. The MTV jock says, "I don't know The Beatles and I can't say I'm familiar with their music." The Foo Fighters were somewhat taken aback. They mocked and gently insulted the guy, shook their heads in disbelief, and then just looked at each other and laughed.

Sorry for the long post. Your rant got me all worked up on your side. :)

Keep on ranting!

Back